Lake Tahoe

F
fishtales
I thought I would check here first. Is there any good bank fishing down there, charters, or boat rentals this time of year. Will I need to get a fishing lic down there or can I get one in advance in Oregon? I have seen a bunch of maps of the lake but I am not sure where to start.

T
the salmon kid
yes there is a few fly fishing charters up there and i dont know if there is any good bank fishing

C
colbypearson
na i wouldnt bank fish it..... most of the trout are caught in super deep water, i used to fish it as a kid lake tahoe reminds me of a natural lake because in most spots the bank has little slant to it but it does have one dam i believe but the dam is tiny compared to the lake i think its only like 20 feet tall and as wide as a city block or so ahah, i remember as a kid there was a ton of fish but i dont recall what beow the dam and people were feeding them i doubt they were carp because its so cold, this was like 12 years ago so its fuzzy.... all i remember about lake tahoe is we went on a charter many times fished minnows, always had a blast catching mackinaw witch is mostly what they catch out there! but i dont think there is much bank fishing that would be all that worth it. honestly i wouldnt go out and rent a boat its a huge lake and i believe it has quite a few restrictions that are specific to that lake only, but i could be wrong... if i were you i would no doubt get a guided trip or one per day even its not that much more than renting a boat and they are sure to put you on fish, i see that salmon kid said fly fishing charters and that concept seems very odd to me, are you just looking to fly fish??? if so i would look more into fishing surrounding areas like the truckee river or something over targeting mostly lakers in however deep those monster sit LOL

brandon4455
brandon4455
there are mmonster trout in tahoe. rainbow and lakers(mackinaw) maybe even browns.. idk. but the smaller fish you could fly fish for im sure. but if you want the bi uns trolling and downriggers is required i believe.

C
colbypearson
brandon4455 said:
there are mmonster trout in tahoe. rainbow and lakers(mackinaw) maybe even browns.. idk. but the smaller fish you could fly fish for im sure. but if you want the bi uns trolling and downriggers is required i believe.

lake tahoe isn't like lakes up here its mostly lake trout and the other trout species are pretty few and far between as far as i know and even the big rainbows stay deep here, you could flyfish from the shore but im not convinced it would be productive i have shore fished before not a lot of places but the ones i have seen arent really deep enough or have any draw for a big fish to be there

C
colbypearson
i take that back i do remember some good looking fly water, if you are there a long time i would look around, im sure if you found creek mouths and stuff there would be some trout around those too.

brandon4455
brandon4455
or you could go pyramid lake style and put a ladder in the water LMAO

F
fishtales
Its a short vaction. I though it might be a good idea to fish if I could make it work. Fly fishing is not out of the question. Honestly I would rather bank fish but it sounds like it could be a slow day with not a lot of action.

F
fishtales
whats pyramid lake style. if it has to do with cards and beer then count me in. lmao