Lake Simtustus trout

Irishrover

Most Featured
Trout fishing at Lake Simtustus has been awesome. My wife and I spent a sunny day fishing from the boat on a mostly in complete solitude. We only saw two other boats fishing near the area we were fishing, and they were there just briefly. We were fly fishing with hares ear nymphs, green woolly buggers, and soft hackles.
There were lot of salmon flies around but the fish were after much smaller flies. It's a beautiful place to fish but it seems a boat is necessary.

Usually we are down fishing out of Astoria or Newport at this time of year. We decided to enjoy some sun and relaxing time on the wter this year before we hit the ocean in mid July.

4labs

Great report
Alittle out of my range but if I ever move to the Ochoco's its doable

troutdude

Great report Lonn. Glad that you and the missus had a good outing. I'm not sure but that may be the first report, about Simtustus!

Irishrover

Most Featured
A few years back I posted a few picture of the place and have from time to time mentioned it. It is a great place, lots of that Central Oregon sunshine coupled with that juniper sage smell. Next year we will be spending most of our fishing time there as I will be retiring from the ocean scene. If I ever learn how to down load pictures from my iPhone to my PC I'll post some picture of the place.

4labs

I too am almost done with the ocean
So I read there are koks there are these small like BC
And bulls , kinda sounds like a mini BC
Do you need a tribal permit ?

Irishrover

Most Featured
Been gone for a while sorry for the delayed answer. Not too many koks most of them are above the Dam at Billy Chinook. Tribal permit is a must have. The real difference between Billy Chinook and Simtustus is Simtustus is for the most part a 10 mile per hour speed limit lake. Only a small part of the lake is open for high speed.

I like fishing in warm weather and being able to swim once in a while. This place is great for that. So far this year the catch has been trout, with firm pink meat.

Attachments

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom