Lakes Lake Simtustus Fishing Reports

4labs
4labs
Great report
Alittle out of my range but if I ever move to the Ochoco's its doable

troutdude
troutdude
Great report Lonn. Glad that you and the missus had a good outing. I'm not sure but that may be the first report, about Simtustus!

Irishrover
Irishrover
A few years back I posted a few picture of the place and have from time to time mentioned it. It is a great place, lots of that Central Oregon sunshine coupled with that juniper sage smell. Next year we will be spending most of our fishing time there as I will be retiring from the ocean scene. If I ever learn how to down load pictures from my iPhone to my PC I'll post some picture of the place.

Reactions: troutdude
4labs
4labs
I too am almost done with the ocean
So I read there are koks there are these small like BC
And bulls , kinda sounds like a mini BC
Do you need a tribal permit ?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Been gone for a while sorry for the delayed answer. Not too many koks most of them are above the Dam at Billy Chinook. Tribal permit is a must have. The real difference between Billy Chinook and Simtustus is Simtustus is for the most part a 10 mile per hour speed limit lake. Only a small part of the lake is open for high speed.

I like fishing in warm weather and being able to swim once in a while. This place is great for that. So far this year the catch has been trout, with firm pink meat.

• IMG_0432.JPG
troutdude
troutdude
That's a sweet ride Lonn!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks she is my dream boat.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Proof that dreams really do come true!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Moored at Lake Simtustus

I hauled the boat over the mountains and tied up at Lake Simtustus. This year we will be away from the saltwater, wind and fog. We plan on warm sunny days that are spent with light trout gear. We will be dragging out and dusting off the fly rods and green wooly buggers. Also going to take the ultra light spinning rods and reels and try a few rooster tails.

We have always had good times at this lake and the fishing has been good too. It will be quite the change after all those years on the ocean, but it's the smart move as old age and infirmity is closing in on us.

I hope to post plenty of pictures from this beautiful part of the state. With any luck there should be fish in those pictures!

Reactions: Markk and my2labs
jamisonace
jamisonace
Sounds amazing at any age. I've never heard of that lake. I'll have to check it out online. How long do you stay there?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'll have the boat there until October. It's about an hour and a half drive from home to the lake so we make day trips. Later we pull the trailer over and soak up the sun for a couple of weeks.

Right now the place is in the middle of the salmon fly hatch. So tomorrow we will give the fly rods a shot.

Simtustus is the body of water behind Pelton dam on the Deschutes. At the other end of the lake is Round Butte Dam which creates Lake Billy Chinook.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Irishrover said:
I'll have the boat there until October. It's about an hour and a half drive from home to the lake so we make day trips. Later we pull the trailer over and soak up the sun for a couple of weeks.

Right now the place is in the middle of the salmon fly hatch. So tomorrow we will give the fly rods a shot.

Simtustus is the body of water behind Pelton dam on the Deschutes. At the other end of the lake is Round Butte Dam which creates Lake Billy Chinook.
Now that you say that, I remember seeing a sign for it on my way to Mecca Flats. Do you fish the hatch on the lake or go the river?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Both but the lake fishing is easier. When I fish the river it's a lot of fun because it's just fishing. On the lake you work the boat and fish however you can cover more water. Going to head over there in about 15 minutes, should be a nice day!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Irishrover said:
Both but the lake fishing is easier. When I fish the river it's a lot of fun because it's just fishing. On the lake you work the boat and fish however you can cover more water. Going to head over there in about 15 minutes, should be a nice day!
Good Luck! I've got work in Medford today so I'm going to check the hatch on the Rogue this evening.

Irishrover
Irishrover
It was a great day. Plenty of warn sunshine very little wind and the fish were on the bite. There were lots of salmon flies on the water but the fish must have been tired of them. We were catching our fish on gold ribbed hares ear nymphs. Funny I thought for sure we could see some dry fly action but not to be. All the fish were in the 12 inch range.

IMG_0724.JPG

Reactions: Chromatose and Admin
Chromatose
Chromatose
Those 150`s will get from point to point easily in that Lake. Nice looking box!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I had to make some adjustments with the fish box. It's an old Styrofoam medical supply box. Those trout would get lost in the halibut sized built in fish box. Yes I have to behave and not lean on the throttles, it's a 10mph lake for the most part. It's about a 30 minute run to the fishing spot. WOT would put me there in less than 5 minutes, but I enjoy the slow trip.

Headed back up in a few days so have been busy trying flies.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Irishover, my comment was more that you had a good catch. I realize a 164qt would be a Olympic sized pool. Good call of the Styrofoam mod!

Have you tried Coneheaded Wooly Buggers out there?

1591643345939.png or a Egg sucking Leach pattern?

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Have not tried the conehead wooly bugger, but it's going on my list. I use bead head wooly buggers with good success. I use the wooly bugger with a smaller trailer fly like a size 14 soft hackle or the hares ear. Lots of fun.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Here are a couple I really like. 1st one is a Schalappen pattern Wooly Bugger

1592255482879.png

This is just what it looks like.
1592255523717.png

Hope you had a great time out there!

Top Bottom