Lake Michigan tributary steelhead - Skamania

Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith
I have just joined this forum but have used the Oregon methods found online to be useful and productive in the NW Indiana tribs. Many thanks to those willing to contribute insights and methods that I have often used with success here.

I have to admit that I am envious of the watersheds those in Oregon have to choose from, not to mention the beauty and splendor of the wilderness in your state. It is my dream of venturing out to enjoy the same someday.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
It's awesome of you to let our members know that our tricks n' tips, have helped you to land midwest steel too! Sounds like steel behave the same no matter where they reside. The same is largely true for Chinook Salmon, and their landlocked cousin which we call Chinokanee. As well as their smaller kin the Coho, and their landlocked brethren the Kokanee. Must of the same tackle, in smaller sizes, works for both the sea runs and for their inland variants.

This is indeed a great state. Then again I am biased. I've been here my whole life, and am approaching 60. And I'm 6th generation Oregonian. In fact I just released my dad's ashes into one of his favorite coastal steelhead streams, the Siletz River, on Memorial Day. His favorite sport was fishing; which led me to become an admin on this site. So a giant shout out to my dad.

We'd love to see any pics and/or stories that you'd care to share.

Tight lines, TD

Reactions: Chromatose
Chromatose
Chromatose
It will not be long until the Summer run Skams in Indiana are ready to make their appearance.

Reactions: Thomas Smith
troutdude
troutdude
S
Snopro
troutdude said:
what's a summer run "skam"?

Steelhead stock native to Skamania county in Washington. Skamania steelhead were used for the creation of "steelhead" runs in the great lakes.

It's sadly ironic that runs of Skamania strain steelhead are doing better in the great lakes than their county of origin.

Skamania county is still beautiful, but there aren't many steelhead.

Reactions: Thomas Smith and Chromatose
troutdude
troutdude
Oh. LOL I know all of that. I just never heard it abbreviated like that. ha ha ha

Reactions: Thomas Smith and Snopro
S
Snopro
Worked with a guy from Michigan and he used it. He was really disappointed to move to Skamania county and find few steelhead.

• Wow
Reactions: Thomas Smith and troutdude
Chromatose
Chromatose
A Eastern Trib with a few Fish...............
feesh3.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: SciFly, Hooked Up and Admin
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Snopro said:
Steelhead stock native to Skamania county in Washington. Skamania steelhead were used for the creation of "steelhead" runs in the great lakes.

It's sadly ironic that runs of Skamania strain steelhead are doing better in the great lakes than their county of origin.

Skamania county is still beautiful, but there aren't many steelhead.

We chartered a boat on lake MI during a family reunion, everyone caught more than one fish.

Reactions: Thomas Smith
Top Bottom