Lake access

J
JeannaJigs
Thinkin' about places to go Memorial weekend, was wondering if anyone knew if Lava Lake is accessible or if it's still snowed in?

Orrr if anyone knew if East Lake is accessible?

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah i want to know about east lake I'll try to call the resort and let you know. seems like there isn't much snow up around wickiup/crescent/odell if that helps. can see it on the mountains but mostly just the peaks or a light scattered snow on the slopes and you really have to try to find snow on the ground.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah see Lava is at a wayyyyy higher elevation than wickiup and crescent. As of the first of the month it still had ice and the road wasn't accessible, but I haven't been able to find any more recent reports.

T
Thuggin4Life
yeah i know lots of those little lakes that are high up could still be snowed in i was more worried about east lake. isn't it not to much higher than wickiup just farther east?

J
JeannaJigs
East lake and paulina are at 6,400 feet, crescent is around 4,400, wickiup is close to 4,300

T
Thuggin4Life
just called the resort at east. said the road is open but the lake isn't. resort opens friday. said the ice is melting and the is some open water but its not accessable. could be very soon though. if you check the resorts website there is an anouncement section that will be updated regulary.

T
Thuggin4Life
Played phone tag with ODOT and finally talked to real person. Guy said last he checked it was getting close but wasn't sure. then he called deschutes county road department instead of transfering me and he said they said it wasn't open yet but i never got the insider info like how soon or close it was and how bad it is now and the forcast for it being open. try calling them later in the week.

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks Andy! I'll give 'em a call friday.

T
Thuggin4Life
hey no problem.

O
Outdrsmn
I heard lava lake is accessible but there is still a lot of snow in the campgrounds.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah I think it's not gonna be any good for camping. Trail bridge might be in effect instead. Cheap, close to home, and killer fishing in every direction for salmon, trout, and steelhead.

T
Thuggin4Life
there is always odell kokanee fishing is starting to heat up.

J
JeannaJigs
After last summer, I'm kinda burnt out on Odell. It's a morning only show 90% of the time. I don't know. I think the only kokanee fishing I'm going to do this summer will be at East Lake and Paulina.