KwikFish setup.

F
fitterdent
i need help with a quik fish setup. i am goint to the lower willy tommorow for some sturgeom and salmon. how do i do a quik fish set up. do i use a spreader bar, weight, and quick fish, or does the quick fish stay low enough on its own? if i use weight about how much, 6 oz's? how deep should i be for the spring nookies? any help would be awesome.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Run just the plug on your line, no spreader, and no weight. K-15's, and K-16's are the standard for Chinook on the Willy. We even saw a guy smash up a nice little finned Steelhead with a Double Trouble K-15 on the backtroll for Chinook. The plug needs no weight because it is designed to dive on its own.

O
osmosis
yeah, it's designed to run about 10 feet on its own.
you use it with either a diver or with lead in the willamette.
how many ozs of lead depends on your current. and Which size jet diver you use depends on how deep the section you're fishing is.

you want to be between 1 and 3 feet of the bottom usually.

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Holy cow, wow, a whole bunch of bs about divers and the willy got deleted out of my post...FireFox you do me nothing but give me a headache... Anyhoo, like Osmosis said. Run 'em with a diver. I don't like the lead trick, but that is purely personal preference, and depth you want to fish. But I just don't fish for Chinook in that deep of water, and I have divers in a few sizes from10-30, so I'm covered on divers,. Normally you have a depth finder, and can determine what number diver to would run from that. Sometimes fish will hang in 12-14 feet of water, and you can easily geat away with "stripping," or "the nakie shaky" as we called it in Alaska. Or running plugs, or "dancers/shakeys" straight to your main. Sliders work well with plugs, because you can get reaction hit when they hang for a moment, then pull free, and start hunting again. Worked in a brushy creek in Alaska, don't see why it wouldn't work in the Willy.

A
ArcticAmoeba
So I'm sorta going to retract a previous statement about weight and KwikFish. I have, and probably will again use some sploosh sinkers, but instead of being on a back troll... You bounce 'em. It works pretty well in a mini skiff, with no rod holders. So you anchor and backbounce. So there you go yet another way to run plugs.

B
BobberDown
i always like to run them straght or with a diver my dad always told my lead changed the acktoin of your qwickfsh i dont know if it is true but he was useing them from the time when they came one the market year and years ago so i trust what he told me he liked to controll there depth bye ether leting out more line or less line meshureing them in pulls sey 25 pulls with a straight K15 10 to 12 but 15 pulls at 6 to 8 or so he told me i dont know i have not ran them in a few years now but he made a liveing for 30 years fishing the river so i figure he no somthing and i lisend i hope this helps good luck Dan:think: