Konnie Access

T
thefishinkid
Hi im new to this site and pretty new to fishing lake creek. ive fished konnie access in the summer for trout when it was way low but never in the winter for steelhead. i would be fishing from the bank and was just wondering how good it fishes and at what height. thanks for any info.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

There is a fellow, who has been fishing at Lake Creek a few times recently. And he had luck inking his tag. His name is escaping me, but you can search the archived threads on Lake Creek for the details.

R
radiation
Howdy. Welcome to OFF. This place has everything about anything. There must be around a million years worth of experience on this site. I don't know where Konnie Access is, I just kown that there are a lot of good spots for steelhead. The usual stuff works. It seems that jigs are the enticement of choice. A good place to start is the Green Creek boat landing. There is usually a couple of people there. Just pick there brains. Ask questions, that's how I learned. That and searching this site. Good luck and welcome again.

N
nwkiller
welcome too OFF, I know the spot your speaking of quite well!! that area (lake creek) fishes well at most hieghts, i like jigs under a float, or bouncing roe off the bottom

J
JeannaJigs
That access point makes me sad. It used to be really nice and well maintained, and now it's just a dump. There used to be a nice platform to fish south of the boat ramp for handicap access, but it got wiped out in the flood of '96 and they never rebuilt it. The boat ramp itself is just a drop off and nearly impossible to use, and the picnic tables each year fall apart more. Not to mention the bathrooms in the jungle of blackberries with no roof. It's just sad because it used to be a pretty nice place to go. Gotta laugh because at the entrance to the drive there's that lovely sign that says "your license and tag dollars at work" ---They haven't done a lick of maintenance in 10 years! that road is sketch too. Allllll that crap aside, there's some good fishing in there. On the opposite bank south of the boat ramp, there's a deep channel, and when it was open for chinook, they held up in there. There's good steelhead water there though, and if you take the road to the very end, there's a trail to the back eddy below the horn. Check it out, explore, there's trails and there's good water. Also some good fishing above the horn on the highway side.

T
thefishinkid
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm probably gonna go this weekend. i got my license awhile ago and i dont have school this monday so ill probably out there this weekend.

N
nwkiller
JeannaJigs said:
That access point makes me sad. It used to be really nice and well maintained, and now it's just a dump. There used to be a nice platform to fish south of the boat ramp for handicap access, but it got wiped out in the flood of '96 and they never rebuilt it. The boat ramp itself is just a drop off and nearly impossible to use, and the picnic tables each year fall apart more. Not to mention the bathrooms in the jungle of blackberries with no roof. It's just sad because it used to be a pretty nice place to go. Gotta laugh because at the entrance to the drive there's that lovely sign that says "your license and tag dollars at work" ---They haven't done a lick of maintenance in 10 years! that road is sketch too.

lol, jig, i feel the same way, i remember last year was the worst ever, trees down you had to squeez under, massive potholes in the road making for the worst put in and take out...this year they fixed the road (alittle) took the tree out and cleared some blackberries, but yeah that sign at the begining was almost a slap in the face!!!!

T
thefishinkid
has anyone seen the water level and color lately?

T
thefishinkid
Went to konnie access and green creek today, only had a few good hits but thats was it. saw one guy hook and lose one right next to me. then on my way home stopped by wittiker and it seemed to be pretty slow also. anyone else have a report?

R
radiation
Seen one native caught and released at Green creek. Everyone else I talked to were catching Trout, Can someone tell me where is Konnie access?

L
LovesFishing
My husband and I were on the Siuslaw by Whittaker Creek (both above and below) today. Heard about 5 steelies caught. Saw one landed. Saw one get away close to the end of the fight. All from drift boats. We were bank fishing. No success for us. Three of the 5 caught were around Milepost 1. Word is that the boats hang near the inlet of Whittaker and it shakes the fish down, so that is why fishing was "good" around MP 1. I saw bobber and drift gear used, and heard drift was more effective today. Also heard some say they were fishing all morning and they hadn't even a bite. So mixed reviews, but in a week or two it should improve.

Water was high-ish and cloudy. It was higher there than by bridge crossing into Mapleton. We were wondering about Lake Creek, but didn't venture down that way today. Good luck tomorrow. Please let us know how you do.

J
JeannaJigs
radiation said:
Seen one native caught and released at Green creek. Everyone else I talked to were catching Trout, Can someone tell me where is Konnie access?

Off highway 36, there's a bridge above swisshome, that is stagecoach road. Cross the bridge, and it's the gravel road on the left, you go past the trailer and barking dogs.

J
JeannaJigs
thefishinkid said:
has anyone seen the water level and color lately?

When the siuslaw is filthy, lake creek is usually pretty clear. Water level doesn't play much into the color.