Kokes in Munsel?

J
JeannaJigs
Was fishing Siltcoos this morning with Andy (thuggin4life), and then this afternoon when Siltcoos decided to mirror the big pond that is the Pacific, we migrated to Munsel for some trout fishing, but he hooked up with a very, very small Kokanee, about 5 inches. Was very clearly a Kokanee and not a trout or a chinook. I did not know they were in any of the small coastal lakes, especially since there is no inlet/outlet. My guess is that someone (perhaps a property owner there) caught them elsewhere and released them there. I may be wrong. Has anyone else heard of Kokes in the coastal lakes?

T
Thuggin4Life
don't forget there were three of them miniatures.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
don't forget there were three of them miniatures.

Indeed, definitely trophy fish.

G
grampa ron
Musell Kokanee

Musell Kokanee

Hi

It was not a Koke, but an imature steelhead. I was there when they stocked it last spring with steelhead fry.

Ron

J
JeannaJigs
I wish I had got a picture of it, I know kokes, fish for them all the time, and I know steelhead smolt...this wasn't of the oncorhynchus familial tree. It had a forked tail, buggly eyes, and a very long face, and was bright silver with no spotting whatsoever, definitely a koke, I would bet my life on it. I just want to know how it got in there.

B
Banjo
Munsel Kokes

Munsel Kokes

JeannaJigs said:
Was fishing Siltcoos this morning with Andy (thuggin4life), and then this afternoon when Siltcoos decided to mirror the big pond that is the Pacific, we migrated to Munsel for some trout fishing, but he hooked up with a very, very small Kokanee, about 5 inches. Was very clearly a Kokanee and not a trout or a chinook. I did not know they were in any of the small coastal lakes, especially since there is no inlet/outlet. My guess is that someone (perhaps a property owner there) caught them elsewhere and released them there. I may be wrong. Has anyone else heard of Kokes in the coastal lakes?

I was catching a lot of what I thought were Kokes last time I was at Munsel in October. They did plant Atlantic Salmon in there about 7 years ago, I thought maybe they'd returned to spawn. They sure do look like Kokes though. Not steelhead. Munsel does have a path to the ocean/bay by the way. It's that little creek that goes under the bridge right when you enter Florence.

T
Thuggin4Life
These fish were a bit small to have been returning from sea. The bigest one I got was like 5 inches max and the smaller one was no bigger than 3 inches. Maybe they were on there way out. But the looked like kokes to me. never got one but they didn't quite look like the land lacked chinook I am used to getting.

T
TTFishon
My sister's father in law told me a long time ago that Munsel has kokes. That was about 23 years ago when he took me koke fishing at Triangle.

B
Banjo
Thuggin4Life said:
These fish were a bit small to have been returning from sea. The bigest one I got was like 5 inches max and the smaller one was no bigger than 3 inches. Maybe they were on there way out. But the looked like kokes to me. never got one but they didn't quite look like the land lacked chinook I am used to getting.

I was thinking they were fry from this years hatch getting ready to leave the lake.

J
JeannaJigs
Really, reallly, reallllllllllly wish we had got pictures of them. No doubt, I'd bet my life on it, that these were ID'd as Kokanee. I fish for kokes all summer long. They were definitely not salmon smolt. They completely lacked spots. I emailed ODFW for information on it, but they never emailed me back.

B
Banjo
Kokes

Kokes

JeannaJigs said:
Really, reallly, reallllllllllly wish we had got pictures of them. No doubt, I'd bet my life on it, that these were ID'd as Kokanee. I fish for kokes all summer long. They were definitely not salmon smolt. They completely lacked spots. I emailed ODFW for information on it, but they never emailed me back.

You're right, they didn't have any spots at all. They were bright and shiney and very very hungry.

M
Mike123
Kokanee are Sockeye salmon. Is there a river into the lake for sockeye to spawn?

B
Banjo
Mike123 said:
Kokanee are Sockeye salmon. Is there a river into the lake for sockeye to spawn?

Not a river, but a creek from the lake to the bay

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:

Nope. There isn't. And to my knowledge, I'm pretty sure there isn't an outlet. I've never seen it when fishing there, and if you look at the map munsel lake - Google Maps I see none either.

The whole deal is wierd.

B
Banjo
Outlet

Outlet

JeannaJigs said:
Nope. There isn't. And to my knowledge, I'm pretty sure there isn't an outlet. I've never seen it when fishing there, and if you look at the map munsel lake - Google Maps I see none either.

The whole deal is wierd.

It ain't much but it is there...as you drive into Florence on 126 you cross a small bridge just before you come up on the shopping center. That is the bridge over the creek that goes from Munsel to the bay. The google map doesn't show it connecting but it does.

J
JeannaJigs
Hmm I don't know about that. But I know they were kokes. I just want to know how they got there and why I never caught any before this summer, when I've been fishing there since I was a little kid.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
Hmm I don't know about that. But I know they were kokes. I just want to know how they got there and why I never caught any before this summer, when I've been fishing there since I was a little kid.

Many years ago sockeye found their way into a few natural lakes and then got trapped. If they successfully spawn in the lake, you now got land locked sockeye, AKA Kokanee. There are a couple lakes in Oregon and Washington I know that this has happened, but they are connected to the Columbia.

T
TTFishon
Maybe there's an under water inflow/outflow that we can't see. I know at Wickiup there are many springs where the kokes spawn.

B
Banjo
Has anyone fished Ackerly or Clear Lake just North of Munsel Lake?

Has anyone fished Ackerly or Clear Lake just North of Munsel Lake?

If so how was it and how did you get in?