Kokanee

N
nwkiller
Has anyone been to Crescent lately? Anyone know how deep the kokanee are running right now?

C
CaptKirk
We were there Sunday and found them in a line straight East of the island. They were anywhere from 35 to 60 feet deep. Brought home five nice ones for dinner.

N
nwkiller
thaks a lot captk, i was hoping i could get some help on it, just to the east of the island or eastern side of the lake, and do you mind if i ask what you where getting them on

C
CaptKirk
We were just east of the island. Did not mark any fish in real close to the island but as soon as it dropped off to 80-100 of water we started marking fish. We were using the small minow flashers and a hot pink apex tipped with plain corn (they did not like my pink dyed and brined corn)

N
nwkiller
awesome, thanks so much, its my friends bday nd we were hoping to garentee some fun up there, thanks for the help! weird how they perfered the plain corn over the brined!

T
Thuggin4Life
If the fishing is lame head over to wickiup. we will be there and i hear they are doing good for kokes over there. Seem lots of guys are using doggers and hoochies. never fisher for kokes but i have flashers,dodgers, and jigs and always bring corn and worms in case i do try. look on ifish there are a lot of good reports there.

N
nwkiller
well i want to fish wick, but my friend thinks he will be too shwilled to drive back (its his bday) you guys gonna be there till sunday, cause if he isn't gonna put his boat into wickiup, then im gonna make my wy there and maybe fish the dam or the dechutes head water which is the otherside of the damn, caught a 20" brown out of there last year

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
This guy in my alcohol class was telling me to fish the river right there. he said back in the day the used to always get into big browns. Yeah leaving this afternoon and staying until sunday afternnoon or monday afternoon not sure yet.

N
nwkiller
ya we are leaving around noon, staying till sunday, maybe we will see ya up there....good luck, can't wait to hear

T
Thuggin4Life
same to you guys.

brandon4455
brandon4455
so ive always wondered about fishing for kokes but i don't have a boat. is there anywhere i can bank fish for kokes when they are in season ?(besides eastern oregon) and whats the best thing to use for them?

-brandon

R
RunWithSasquatch
I dont do a whole lot of kokanee fishing, but my opinion is its mostly a boat show (trolling/jigging) The season has come and gone for the year also. I believe they have all spawned and died off. There are a few places around west of the cascades that have them, Green Peter is a popular one, also one that seems to get little attention is Triangle Lake, west of Eugene.

W
waco
i heard but not sure that kokanees dont dye after spawning!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
RunWithSasquatch said:
I dont do a whole lot of kokanee fishing, but my opinion is its mostly a boat show (trolling/jigging) The season has come and gone for the year also. I believe they have all spawned and died off. There are a few places around west of the cascades that have them, Green Peter is a popular one, also one that seems to get little attention is Triangle Lake, west of Eugene.

thanks man i appriciate the help

-brandon

T
Thuggin4Life
yeah what he said.

and kokes are land locked sockeye or red salmon so yes they do die after spawning but each lake has cycles of fish there are always kokanee in the lakes but its more of a summer time fishery.

very tasty i might add.

R
rippin fish lips
yes a summer time fishery that is! and very very tasty!!

F
fish4life
Fishing for kokanee off the bank is difficult but not impossible, I heard they do it off detroit dam and off fishermans bridge on green peter maybe of the dam there as well. I would use a buzz bomb, crippled herring, or nordic jig 1/2 - 5/8 oz, I have always found that the flame color seems to produce well. retrieve in jigging motion throwing slack on the down swing, fish will a lot of times pick up lure when it is falling so watch your line. Another lure that works good is a 1/2 oz bananna sinker painted with red nail polish, just attach a split ring and a treble hook. At times this has outfished the three jigs metioned above. good luck,tight lines

R
rippin fish lips
fish4life said:
. Another lure that works good is a 1/2 oz bananna sinker painted with red nail polish, just attach a split ring and a treble hook. At times this has outfished the three jigs metioned above. Good luck,tight lines

realllyyyyyy???

F
FrozenForever Photography
I know a few guys that jig for them on the south side of green peter dam. Not sure what they use. Just make sure you set the hook soft as you can rip out their mouths. Summer is the best time.

H
Hawk
The record size Kokes have been caught at Wallowa Lake.