Kokanee

brandon4455

brandon4455

so ive always wondered about fishing for kokes but i don't have a boat. is there anywhere i can bank fish for kokes when they are in season ?(besides eastern oregon) and whats the best thing to use for them?

-brandon

R

RunWithSasquatch

I dont do a whole lot of kokanee fishing, but my opinion is its mostly a boat show (trolling/jigging) The season has come and gone for the year also. I believe they have all spawned and died off. There are a few places around west of the cascades that have them, Green Peter is a popular one, also one that seems to get little attention is Triangle Lake, west of Eugene.

brandon4455

brandon4455

I dont do a whole lot of kokanee fishing, but my opinion is its mostly a boat show (trolling/jigging) The season has come and gone for the year also. I believe they have all spawned and died off. There are a few places around west of the cascades that have them, Green Peter is a popular one, also one that seems to get little attention is Triangle Lake, west of Eugene.

thanks man i appriciate the help

-brandon

T

Thuggin4Life

yeah what he said.

and kokes are land locked sockeye or red salmon so yes they do die after spawning but each lake has cycles of fish there are always kokanee in the lakes but its more of a summer time fishery.

very tasty i might add.

F

fish4life

Fishing for kokanee off the bank is difficult but not impossible, I heard they do it off detroit dam and off fishermans bridge on green peter maybe of the dam there as well. I would use a buzz bomb, crippled herring, or nordic jig 1/2 - 5/8 oz, I have always found that the flame color seems to produce well. retrieve in jigging motion throwing slack on the down swing, fish will a lot of times pick up lure when it is falling so watch your line. Another lure that works good is a 1/2 oz bananna sinker painted with red nail polish, just attach a split ring and a treble hook. At times this has outfished the three jigs metioned above. good luck,tight lines

R

rippin fish lips

. Another lure that works good is a 1/2 oz bananna sinker painted with red nail polish, just attach a split ring and a treble hook. At times this has outfished the three jigs metioned above. Good luck,tight lines

realllyyyyyy???

F

FrozenForever Photography

I know a few guys that jig for them on the south side of green peter dam. Not sure what they use. Just make sure you set the hook soft as you can rip out their mouths. Summer is the best time.

troutdude

troutdude

Fish4Life: welcome to the Forum.

If you get a chance to troll, Pink Hoochies will kill 'em.

And Detroit does have 'em.

BTW, Thuggin' is quite right. They are VERY tasty. And they are just about the best SMOKED fish you will ever have!

brandon4455

brandon4455

Fish4Life: welcome to the Forum.

If you get a chance to troll, Pink Hoochies will kill 'em.

And Detroit does have 'em.

BTW, Thuggin' is quite right. They are VERY tasty. And they are just about the best SMOKED fish you will ever have!
thanks for the tip on the pink hoochies jay my uncle has a smoker maybe ill get a few next year!

brandon4455

brandon4455

Fishing for kokanee off the bank is difficult but not impossible, I heard they do it off detroit dam and off fishermans bridge on green peter maybe of the dam there as well. I would use a buzz bomb, crippled herring, or nordic jig 1/2 - 5/8 oz, I have always found that the flame color seems to produce well. retrieve in jigging motion throwing slack on the down swing, fish will a lot of times pick up lure when it is falling so watch your line. Another lure that works good is a 1/2 oz bananna sinker painted with red nail polish, just attach a split ring and a treble hook. At times this has outfished the three jigs metioned above. good luck,tight lines

thanks man i think my uncle has some nordic jigs ill give em a try next summer ;)

F

fish4life

yes the bananna sinkers do actually work, I have been coating them with red rubberize it, you can get it from bi-mart its like a paint but when it dries it is rubber. but i would experiment with other colors also, half red half white, pink. I like putting a kernal of white shoepeg corn on each hook.

F

fish4life

when fishing with hoochies do you fish them behind a sling blade, I tried that last year at green peter and didn't have any luck, so I switched back to lake trolls and wedding ring setup and got six. I think the boat might have been trolling too fast.

M

michigan_transplant

Season is over for them but from what i heard it was epic up at Green Peter this year. Best bet (and what I'm planning on doing) is keeping up to date and in the spring when they get going head up there with a float tube (if you can borrow one from someone). At that point they aren't as deep as later in the year. Put it in right at the dam at green peter and start jigging your buzz bomb with corn on the hooks soaked in Anise oil. Kills them.