Kokanee this coming weekend

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
I have never fished for them and am asking for any recommendations on where I should try. Detroit Lake, Green Peter, anywhere within a couple hours of Canby.

Livingston13.5T
Livingston13.5T
My only attempt was at Green Peter last year around this time, fished the Quartzville creek arm. There are plenty of Kokanee in there, but that also means they are small in size, roughly 8 inches only. I hear they are bigger in Detroit but in less numbers.

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Thank you for the information. I should probably wait until it warms up and the fish are grown.

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
Green Peter has so many Kokanee that the average size is about 8", so need to wait for them to grow (they will not). There is also land lock chinook in there that you have a chance to catch those too.

Like stated Detroit does have some kokanees but much hard to find. Good news is that there are decent size stocker rainbows you can target if kokanee are not biting.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Typically the size of the Kokes, at GP, are on the smaller size. But there's TONS of them. Plus, as mentioned above, there are Chinokanee in GP too. A fellow OFFer caught a 10-pounder several years ago!

This time of year you can flat line your gear 100' behind the boat, and pick up both Kokes and also decent sized 'Bows too boot. Probably the same is true at Detroit.

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Not a Kokanee virgin anymore. Once I found the fish at GP it was game on. I had never fished over such numbers before. Hootchies, wedding rings, spin-n-glo's and others caught fish. All of them very small, brought enough home to fill the Little Chief..

Reactions: troutdude, Admin and 305to503fishermen
Oldhammer
Oldhammer
Went up there Friday in my Kayak. Once I found them and got past the floating debris (Quartzville arm at 50ft) I caught a mouthful. (8 lil guys). Orange was the magic color. (7 to 1 vs. green)

Reactions: 305to503fishermen and Admin
REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Oldhammer said:
Went up there Friday in my Kayak. Once I found them and got past the floating debris (Quartzville arm at 50ft) I caught a mouthful. (8 lil guys). Orange was the magic color. (7 to 1 vs. green)
We were just below Rumbaugh creek, pink was our hot color.

Reactions: Admin
Q
quandev
I'm very new to fishing and have only caught trout. I just bought my kayak, a fish finder, and plan on going to Green Peter to catch some kokanee. I'm planning on trolling at first, until I see a school of fish on the fish finder, then I'd stop and do vertical jigging. Do you think my trout rod (ultra light, fast action) can handle both situations? I don't want to buy another rod unless it's absolutely necessary, 'cause I just spent money on the kayak. Thank you for your advice. I'd appreciate any other tips as well.

C_Run
C_Run
quandev said:
I'm very new to fishing and have only caught trout. I just bought my kayak, a fish finder, and plan on going to Green Peter to catch some kokanee. I'm planning on trolling at first, until I see a school of fish on the fish finder, then I'd stop and do vertical jigging. Do you think my trout rod (ultra light, fast action) can handle both situations? I don't want to buy another rod unless it's absolutely necessary, 'cause I just spent money on the kayak. Thank you for your advice. I'd appreciate any other tips as well.
I got by with a trout rod for a few years and then bought some Okuma "kokanee" rods. Don't fret over the rod for now, just go fishing and tell us how you did.

Reactions: DonF, quandev, jamisonace and 2 others
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Snow levels are going to drop this weekend check the weather!

Oldhammer
Oldhammer
In a kayak on Green Peter I would not recommend trolling until you spot a “Koke Ball”. My experience there with that strategy has led to a lot of wasted time. I would recommend getting to areas known to be productive. At 3+ mph in your yak it will take you at least 20-30 min. to get up the quartzville arm from the thistle ramp. Once I spot a school on my finder, I make a pass trolling then circle back and jig or troll whichever is catching fish. If the bite stops, I keep moving until I find another school then repeat the process. I‘be been told never leave fish to find fish but on Green Peter if I can’t coax a bite for 15-20 min. I move on.

Reactions: rogerdodger and Admin
Q
quandev
GaryP1958 said:
Snow levels are going to drop this weekend check the weather!
How do the snow levels affect fishing? Can you explain a bit more?

Q
quandev
Oldhammer said:
In a kayak on Green Peter I would not recommend trolling until you spot a “Koke Ball”. My experience there with that strategy has led to a lot of wasted time. I would recommend getting to areas known to be productive. At 3+ mph in your yak it will take you at least 20-30 min. to get up the quartzville arm from the thistle ramp. Once I spot a school on my finder, I make a pass trolling then circle back and jig or troll whichever is catching fish. If the bite stops, I keep moving until I find another school then repeat the process. I‘be been told never leave fish to find fish but on Green Peter if I can’t coax a bite for 15-20 min. I move on.
Got it. So Quartsville arm is one of the productive areas. Do you know any other areas?

S
Snopro
Oldhammer said:
At 3+ mph in your yak it will take you at least 20-30 min. to get up the quartzville arm from the thistle ramp.
One nice thing about a kayak (or SUP) is you can usually launch a lot closer to your targeted fishing area than the nearest ramp.

C_Run
C_Run
There is another dirt ramp I've used up Quartzville Arm about a half mile before you get to the bridge over the arm. It used to be gated this time of year making it ideal for kayak launching. That is, no or few boats in the early morning. What oldhammer said , too, about trolling. By the time you reel in your trolling gear the schools have moved. That's my experience.

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
I just bought a bunch of Kokanee lures that I hope will work. Where can I go that will give me a chance at larger Kokanee or trout? Green Peter was fun but I need some bigger fish.

troutdude
troutdude
@REELY HOOKED your only options, within 2 hours of Canby, are Detroit and GP. And Detroit's are larger, from what I've heard and reports on here. I've only fished at GP for them.

Suttle Lake, on the Santiam pass, has some. Although I don't know how big they are. And the howling wind kept us from trolling for trout there a few years back. And I'm not sure how far that is for you.

There is also Timothy Lake up near Mt. Hood. But it won't be open for a while now, with the new snow pack.

Here are some additional ideas for you from my friend's website:

https://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/or-best-kokanee-fishing-in-oregon.html

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Thank you for the information, I may wait until it warms up some. I am hoping to try some Central Oregon waters like Crane Prairie and Wickiup.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

Crane Prairie, however, isn't a Kokanee fishery. There a few in there from time to time. But it wouldn't be high on my list, at all, for Kokes. Trout yes. Kokes no.

And Wickiup was completely drained fairly recently. So that fishery may take a while to rebound. You could use the search engine on here, to find out more details.