Kokanee question

L
LuckyFisher
I've never fished for Kokanee before, but have been watching some videos about it. It looks like everyone uses dodgers a foot or two above their lure of choice. How important is that? It seems like it would impact the fun of the fight. When trout fishing, I've never liked using pop gear or other heavy stuff. I've always just trolled some sort of lure. What about just trolling a plain old wedding ring with maybe a bit of bait on the hook? How many more strikes would you expect by adding a dodger to that setup? Just something I am thinking about as I consider heading out to Green Peter later this summer.

C
Combat Chuck
LuckyFisher said:
I've never fished for Kokanee before, but have been watching some videos about it. It looks like everyone uses dodgers a foot or two above their lure of choice. How important is that? It seems like it would impact the fun of the fight. When trout fishing, I've never liked using pop gear or other heavy stuff. I've always just trolled some sort of lure. What about just trolling a plain old wedding ring with maybe a bit of bait on the hook? How many more strikes would you expect by adding a dodger to that setup? Just something I am thinking about as I consider heading out to Green Peter later this summer.

The dodgers (at least the ones I use) have almost no impact on the fight. Seps sidekick and slingblades are small and thin. I use em even with trout fishing... pop cans are no fun. You will catch some with just a wedding ring but if you switch to hoochies the dodger is needed. The GP fish have been small :(... so thinking light is a good thing.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
you can catch them without a blade/dodger for sure, perhaps just not as fast. I don't think a blade or small dodger impacts the fight but...

not to dampen your spirits, 'fun of the fight' is not how I would look at kokanee, they normally come up from depth and splash around a bit and have very soft mouths so net them quick or they go away. I describe kokanee fishing as harvesting lots of really tasty fish as quickly as possible when the bite is on. hook'em, net'em, bonk'em and into the cooler. then count up how many when you get back to camp and get busy processing them...cheers, roger

C
Combat Chuck
rogerdodger said:
you can catch them without a blade/dodger for sure, perhaps just not as fast. I don't think a blade or small dodger impacts the fight but...

not to dampen your spirits, 'fun of the fight' is not how I would look at kokanee, they normally come up from depth and splash around a bit and have very soft mouths so net them quick or they go away. I describe kokanee fishing as harvesting lots of really tasty fish as quickly as possible when the bite is on. hook'em, net'em, bonk'em and into the cooler. then count up how many when you get back to camp and get busy processing them...cheers, roger

Especially at GP. Whack em and stack em. The thrill is finding that chaotic bite and having rods flying everywhere.

F
flocaster
Nice vid! How many times has you dog been slapped in the face with a flying kokanee?? lol

L
LuckyFisher
Thanks for the help guys, and nice video CC!!

C
Combat Chuck
flocaster said:
Nice vid! How many times has you dog been slapped in the face with a flying kokanee?? lol

The dog can move pretty quick. The other guys... not so much.
179133_10150944488713522_866441065_n.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Combat Chuck said:
Shoot.... I dont even waste my time netting them! HAHA

that is my kayak approach, no net for smaller ones, just lift them onto the deck in front of my seat...

F
flocaster
Combat Chuck said:
The dog can move pretty quick. The other guys... not so much.

Sweet "Fish Print" camo you got there!