Kokanee on Detroit Lake

T
tomkat
Can anyone suggest one of the better areas on Detroit to fish for Kokanee? Caught one about 16 inches last week on the highway side of the island but mostly the bag was rainbow. Going up in the morning and would like to fish where I might have better luck with kokanee.

S
Seahawkfan
How deep are you fishing for the Kok's?

T
tomkat
I'm guessing I'm at about 40 to 50 feet.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the few kokes (~5) that we caught there last year in late-June were all on the south side of the island. lots more rainbows last year...cheers, roger

T
tomkat
Fished Detroit today and no Kokanee. Did get two limits of rainbow but it took the better part of 5 hours to get them. Fished both sides of the island and the south shore from across from the island down lake for about a mile. All of the fish came from the area around the island with most of them coming from the north side.

T
troutfisher
I have only picked up a handful of kokes this year but they have come from Kinney Creek or the area out in front of Kinney Creek. The south side of the Island is also a good place to fish for them so am I told.

Tomkat - are you using a Downrigger or long lining with weight? The kokes I picked up last month have all come from long lining a dodger set up with between 1oz and 2oz of weight. I am srue they will continue to move deeper as summer progresses.

I would love to be able to catch more of them from Detroit this year as the lake is closer to me than other kokanee lakes and they are much bigger than the kokes I picked up from Green Peter on Monday.

T
tomkat
Hey Troutfisher. Actually, I do have a pair of downriggers but they moved to Idaho with my brother about 4 months ago. So, what I am doing is using a 4 oz lead ball dropped down about 4 or 5 inches from the rudder on my flasher assembly followed by a Kokabow spinner or Wedding Ring capped off with a chunk of nightcrawler. I'm letting out anywhere from 60 to 80 pulls of line. I caught a nice Koke two trips ago (about 16 inches) and a couple of 8-9 inchers but everything else this year has been bows. My Humminbird has been showning a lot of fish on the north side of the island but they are down on or near the bottom most of the time (100 feet or better). Even considering how slow the fishing has been it's always great getting the boat out on the lake.

T
Throbbit _Shane
You guys catch any landlock chinooks in there? I hear there are some real decent sized ones in Detroit.

T
tomkat
I've not caught any of the Chinookanee (I believe that's what they're being called) but the guy who owns the local sportsman's store told me he knows someone who has been catching a few. My fish finder has been showing me some quite large fish down deep that may well be them.

T
troutfisher
I have not picked one up personally and they most likely run pretty deep. Keep in mind this is my fisrt year of owning a boat so I don't have years of fishing the lake to rely on.

T
tomkat
I'm no expert at the fine points of Detroit either but I keep fishing and I keep learning. I'm guessing that's the best we can do.

C
csmithbass
Thanks for the info guys! I'm headed out there today, planning on fishin for Trout. Do Kokes typically strike the same lures/baits or do you use something different?
(i.e. other than treble and power bait, rooster tail...)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kokes will hit many of the small trout lures normally trolled- wedding rings, small spinners, trout/kokanee killers...but normally kokes are deeper and in schools and they are most likely to hit a lure tipped with some bait/scent...

T
tomkat
I agree with the response from Rogerdodger. I haven't been to the lake for two or so weeks but last time up I had out 4 oz of lead and 70 pulls. When I go again I will probably use 5oz. Good luck.

T
troutfisher
Anyone put any Kokanee in their boat lately? I will be up Sunday morning giving it another go.

T
troutfisher
Lots of drive by's this morning but we managed to get a few kokes in the boat. Found willing biters on the highway side of the lake down toward the dam. 40-50ft seemed to work. Fish seemed to like an orange spinner hoochie and also an pink and white assassin spinner. Fish seemed to want a faster troll than normal.

May not be able to limit out every day but the fish are very nice.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, how big are the best kokes?

T
troutfisher
Solid 12-14 inches. Had one next to the boat that looked bigger but he decided not to join the party.

C
csmithbass
Thanks for the response! I ended up bank fishing/camping near Cumley Creek. Pulled up a smallish Rainbow Trout on a black/yellow (i think) spinner. Could see fish chasing, but not much biting...I need to bring my yak next time