Kokanee near Eugene?

F
fourgotten
Alright... I never have fished kokanee... well.. once, when I was a kid, in lake Billy Chinook...

So what waters near Eugene have kokanee?

Last edited by a moderator:
O
Oregonchris
If you do a customized search this will tell you every Koke water in Oregon..It may miss suthin' but you can ad to it like wikipedia if you want to..
Oregon Fish Finder

O
Oregonchris
Triangle Lake

Detroit Lake

Green Peter Reservoir

Lemolo Reservoir

Lost Lake

Timothy Lake

Elk Lake

Lake Simtustus

Lake Billy Chinook

Suttle Lake

Big Lake

Elk Lake

Paulina Lake

East Lake

Wickiup Reservoir

Davis Lake

Odell Lake

Waldo Lake

Crater Lake

Fourmile Lake

Lake of the Woods

Olive Lake

Wallowa Lake

Heart Lake

Crescent Lake

Odell Creek

Paulina Creek

Last edited:
F
fourgotten
Oregonchris said:
If you do a customized search this will tell you every Koke water in Oregon..It may miss suthin' but you can ad to it like wikipedia if you want to..
Oregon Fish Finder

I don't trust that program... it often misses fish that are there... or water bodies that exist.... *chuckle*

M
mikeredding
fourgotten said:
I don't trust that program... it often misses fish that are there... or water bodies that exist.... *chuckle*
I tried using it one time and got crummy results too.:(

T
TTFishon
fourgotten said:
Alright... I never have fished kokanee... well.. once, when I was a kid, in lake Billy Chinook...

So what waters near Eugene have kokanee?

How close to Eugene are we talking here?

O
Oregonchris
Nothing is perfect...this is the internet after all..This will get you started with your home base in Eugene. Gleem what you can from it and move forward.

Troutski
Troutski
Billy Chinook...

Billy Chinook...

TTFishon said:

Located in Central Oregon, Northeast of the Bend area... Not a bad drive from here but I would probably spend the night and make a two day trip out of it. Very cool lake and the surrounding area is amazing, like something from a Indian Jones Movie...

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/lake_billy_chinook.pdf

Chuck

T
TTFishon
Troutski said:
Located in Central Oregon, Northeast of the Bend area... Not a bad drive from here but I would probably spend the night and make a two day trip out of it. Very cool lake and the surrounding area is amazing, like something from a Indian Jones Movie...

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/lake_billy_chinook.pdf

Chuck

I know where LBC is, thanks. I was wondering how close to Eugene is he/she willing to travel?

F
fourgotten
TTFishon said:

Ideally, leaving after a normal breakfast time and arriving at home just in time for a late dinner after catching our limits in fish... So preferably within 60 miles or so... but the closer the better... seriously considering heading out to Dexter to try on some of those land-locked Chinook that someone was talkin' 'bout, too... *grin*

T
TTFishon
fourgotten said:
Ideally, leaving after a normal breakfast time and arriving at home just in time for a late dinner after catching our limits in fish... So preferably within 60 miles or so... but the closer the better... seriously considering heading out to Dexter to try on some of those land-locked Chinook that someone was talkin' 'bout, too... *grin*

Triangle, Dexter, Look out Point, Cougar Res, Foster, and Green Peter. I think Dexter and Look out Point are the closest. It depends on what end of Eugene. Triangle lake is about 45 minutes from west Eugene. Let us know how you do and I'm curious to know if you think they make good table fare. I caught a bunch last fall and I didn't think they tasted that great. Good luck.

M
mikeredding
TTFishon said:
Triangle, Dexter, Look out Point, Cougar Res, Foster, and Green Peter. I think Dexter and Look out Point are the closest. It depends on what end of Eugene. Triangle lake is about 45 minutes from west Eugene. Let us know how you do and I'm curious to know if you think they make good table fare. I caught a bunch last fall and I didn't think they tasted that great. Good luck.

I should point out that there was previous discussion about local Kokes. It was determined that Dexter, Lookout Point and Hill Creek are stocked with Lanlocked CHINOOK which are not true Kokanee.

O
Oregonchris
TTFishon said:

Ya, let us know how you do.

F
fourgotten
Awesome

Awesome

Looks like I'ma have to get out to T Lake, then... I haven't ever fished it... (mainly 'cause the boat access looks pretty limited and private on the drive-bys that I've done)...

Thanks!

T
TTFishon
mikeredding said:
I should point out that there was previous discussion about local Kokes. It was determined that Dexter, Lookout Point and Hill Creek are stocked with Lanlocked CHINOOK which are not true Kokanee.

A kokanee is a land locked sokeye salmon and I think a land locked chinook is just that a land locked chinook.

M
mikeredding
TTFishon said:
A kokanee is a land locked sokeye salmon and I think a land locked chinook is just that a land locked chinook.

Yes, that is correct. That's why I had pointed it out because there are landlocked Chinook in there but technically they aren't Kokanee. Although there used to be true Kokanee in Lookout Point 20 years ago.

B
Banjo
Kokes Near Eugene

Kokes Near Eugene

Closest:
Dexter Lake
Lookout Res.
Fall Creek Res.
Triangle Lake

B
Banjo
mikeredding said:
Yes, that is correct. That's why I had pointed it out because there are landlocked Chinook in there but technically they aren't Kokanee. Although there used to be true Kokanee in Lookout Point 20 years ago.

I catch Kokes in Lookout.

B
Banjo
fourgotten said:
Looks like I'ma have to get out to T Lake, then... I haven't ever fished it... (mainly 'cause the boat access looks pretty limited and private on the drive-bys that I've done)...

Thanks!

They have a great ramp and dock at Triangle now.

T
Thuggin4Life
Sorry banjo but those are chinokanee(actually called land locked chinook) I was confused at first but the have a black gumline(just like a chinook) and even though they are bright and shiny they have a bit more dark colored spots on there back(just like a chinook) I have got into them at lookout(more often the trout) at fallcreek(every other fish) and just started getting them at dexter(only fish I got today was a chinook). The closest place I know of for kokes is triangle but there are always crescent and odell which aren't that bad of a drive and great scenery and not to mention all the other high lakes that have them. I'll go take a picture of the one I got and put it on here in a bit. Looks like a koke's even twin.