Kokanee fishing at Green Peter!!

C
capron6
7-15
Very, very late start today. Lost my partner at the last minute, decided to fish solo and didn't get on the water until around 11:30 and finished up around 4:00. Still managed 15 fish. Largest 15". Guess I should have been there for the bite!!

M
mosd
about how deep do the fish seem to be running? ive got downriggers

C
capron6
I have been working over the 40 - 50' range lately. Find the largest concentration of fish on your finder and fish just above them. Good luck. See you out there tomorrow?

M
mosd
Ill be there sat. bright and early.... ill prob launch near the dam? i remember seeing a launch or the makes of one there but that was way back when the water was way down... look for a jon boat with a outboard jet hangin off the back

L
lip ripper
7-16
Two of us went today and caught 39 and put back several small ones. Again the red hoochie was a killer at 50'. We trolled at 45 and 50' is where we found the fish but no big schools. I am going in the morning and see if the red hoochie still works. :clap:

M
mosd
any good coffee stands open in sweet home at 6am on a saturday?

A
autofisher
mosd said:
any good coffee stands open in sweet home at 6am on a saturday?

I think the best you're gonna be able to do is the Circle K. But I haven't been up there in the "normal" morning hours for a while.

L
lip ripper
7-17
There are two espresso open by then, one on the right at the second lite and the other across from Hoys Hardware east of town. Good luck fishing :)

L
lip ripper
7-17
I went back to GP this morning and caught 18. The red hoochie didn't do to good today. I caught most of them on my homemade blue beaded lure. Then I went to a pink and purple hoochie and did very good on it. Some one in the forum said they did good with garlic on there corn. I am sure it is the scent you by in the store. Well I didn't have that so I got the pure garlic powder out of my wife's cupboard. I said it will either work or it will not but if it doesn't I will have it on my hands and will not catch any fish. It really worked I couldn't believe it. :clap:

M
mosd
couldnt make it up this morning. was sick yesterday.

is it any good in the evening?

L
lip ripper
7-18
Mosd
Sorry to hear that you were sick, hope you are better today. I do believe these fish take a long coffee break from 10 until 12 the last couple of days. I haven't fished after 3 but they were still biting then. Good luck fishing. :)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Hey Troutski..

Can I have my Koke lures back!?! :(:(

T
ToyotaTrevor
mosd said:
couldnt make it up this morning. was sick yesterday.

is it any good in the evening?

yes. I think so anyway. I'm not a very patient fisherman neither is my girlfriend. So we only fish a couple hours at a time. We got out at about 10am and caught three or so fish within a two hour period.

I heard fishing was slow at gp right now.

L
lip ripper
7-19
The fishing at GP is the best right now that it has ever been this year. The old saying the early bird gets the worm. I do the best between 6 am and 10 am then from 12 to 2 pm that's when I go home. The bite seams to slack off at 10 for me any way. You need lots of patience when you are Kokanee fishing. Lots of times I have fished 7 hours and only caught 7 fish. :clap:

C
capron6
I agree with Lip Ripper. The lake has fished exceptionally well lately. Two of us put 27 in the boat on Friday 17th by 2 p.m.

I feel GPO fishes better when the lake level is lower as it is now. We still have at least 6 weeks left of decent fishing. By the middle of Sept. the kokes will start to show us the beginning of their spawn cycle with a change in appearance and color. That is not to say, however, that juvenile fish that aren't going to spawn are not available. They can be caught clear into November, and possibly later.

T
ToyotaTrevor
capron6 said:
I agree with Lip Ripper. The lake has fished exceptionally well lately. Two of us put 27 in the boat on Friday 17th by 2 p.m.

I feel GPO fishes better when the lake level is lower as it is now. We still have at least 6 weeks left of decent fishing. By the middle of Sept. the kokes will start to show us the beginning of their spawn cycle with a change in appearance and color. That is not to say, however, that juvenile fish that aren't going to spawn are not available. They can be caught clear into November, and possibly later.

what exactly does a koke look like???

D
Dan Feller
ToyotaTrevor said:
what exactly does a koke look like???

These aren't very big, but this is what they look like:

Last edited by a moderator:
L
lip ripper
7-21
Another great day of fishing at GP. I was on the water at 5:30 AM, I let the down rigger down and before I could get set down I had a fish on. I have a little bell on the pole, and boy does it ring when they hit. They were all nice fish ranging from 9" to 13". I threw back 8 and lost 4 and wound up with 23, and I left at noon. Still catching them on the red hoochie,and the lure with the blue beads. I caught all of them at 40 ft,east and west of the public rest rooms. :clap:

C
capblack
darn I wasted all my money and time at gp a couple months ago before they were biting, now I dont have cash for gas or bait. Maybe my luck will change. If The boat sells, Ill have money for gas and bait, but no boat. Do they sell down riggers for inner tubes? There only $30 at schwabs:( Oh well Im glad to hear you guys are having luck up at that beautiful lake, more good luck and happy fishing, Brian

H
Hawk
A Man caught a 7pound Kokanee at Wallowa Lake..........................................:clap::clap::clap:.............................:D:D:D................................:cool::cool::cool: