Kokanee candy

P
playhooky
I'm on Detroit Friday in hopes of a few Kokes. Not being familiar with brining white shoepeg corn, I plan on using the Pro-Cure Wizard Kokanee Killer Korn Magic mix (red). Not sure how effective the stuff is as I've not tried it before so wondering if it's golden on its own or if I need to add an additional scent to the mix. I also plan on leaving some of the corn untreated just so I have a couple different OFFerings. To you guys in the know......I'm all ears. I need all the help I can get right now. I don't have downriggers either so it's gonna be 70 pulls OFF the reel at 1.5 mph for starters. HELP!! I'm listening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F
fish face
You should do fine. I personally like the firecorn (I think that the name). The problem your going to have is the those pesky trout. Have you thought about jigging for Kokanee in order to try to avoid them? Write back and tell me the water level--I heard it is LOW.

C_Run
C_Run
I didn't really know what I was doing but whipped up a batch of my own once using Fire Cure and some "Krill Extra" and it was a nice bright red and very effective.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
slow down if you can, not easy if it is windy, we do best at 0.8 to 1.2mph. this will also help you get deeper with less line out...

Mikes Lunker Lotion Kokanee is something that has worked good for us, not a cure or marinate, more of a sweet smelling lotion, sort of like liquid corn... we mix it with corn in a small container the night before or even just before going out, and also add it to the corn on the lures when we check them while fishing...

P
playhooky
Thanks for the tips. Regarding the trolling speed, I can and will slow it down. I just didn't know what to troll at but makes perfect sense for radical flasher action and getting deeper. Another unknown until I read the paper a few minutes ago is that there's a derby on Detroit beginning at 6 tomorrow [emoji12]. Could be a zoo with only two ramps open because of the water level. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
fish face said:
The problem your going to have is the those pesky trout.

BONUS fish, IMO.

C
capblack
any flavor of white shoepeg corn will work fine, your bigger problem will be getting down below the trout without hooking one. 1 to 1.3 mph should work fine, and i would put at least 1 oz of lead on a slider. i would try to get 5 or so ft of line between your weight and dodger as well, otherwise the lead will kill the dodgers action. good luck