Kokanee at Odell

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm determined to catch my first Kokanee this year. After having spent hundreds of dollars a few years ago on equipment that I never used, I'm going to break it out.

You guys that catch these things by the dozens: when can a guy expect to start catching them at Odell.

Or even Green Peter.

Thanks!

P
playhooky
Go to the kokaneekidfishing.com website and you should pretty much get a lot of your questions answered there. Jeremy's gotta lotta stuff on his site to consider. He's been at the Kokanee game a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
last year, we hit Odell the first week of August and the kokes were big! due to the elevation, definitely a later season fishery, we are considering going next year the week after 4th of July, the campground (Trapper Creek) opens May 21 and I have a feeling through late June the bugs are thick and temps still chilly...cheers, roger

jhop111
jhop111
Gp can kick a few out right meow. An honest opinion on a website to consider is the koke forum. Oregon has its own section as does kpo (koke power oregon). It's condenses all the info nicely. Kokanee kids site is okay but his reports are laggy and he fishes multiple lakes out of state so not all the info is relevant to nearby waters. He does a great job with telling you exactly what he was doing to produce fish though so if a report lines up to your plans for fishing you can take away good info. Plus he makes good gear and seems to be a good koke ambassador. I'm hitting gp weds or Thursday to try out the tr1 and side scan. Will report

jamisonace
jamisonace
We hit it early last year. Can't remember the month but it was really cold. Some boats did very well. My buddy got one and I none. Thanks for the info on the different sites to check out. I'll start doing some research. Jhop, I look forward to your report. I have a new fish finder to try out so if it's worth a drive to gp, I'll probably head over there. Especially if the weather stays as nice as it's been.

E
eugene1
I was in your shoes a few years ago, Jamie (Lowe standards- LOL).

Went to Triangle lake (Lane Co.) trolled something called wedding rings behind small flashers. Caught two of the chromest fish I have ever landed.

Fish seemed small and were released, I wasn't in it to keep any just wanted to catch some kokes.

Good luck,

Reactions: troutdude
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace said:
We hit it early last year. Can't remember the month but it was really cold. Some boats did very well. My buddy got one and I none. Thanks for the info on the different sites to check out. I'll start doing some research. Jhop, I look forward to your report. I have a new fish finder to try out so if it's worth a drive to gp, I'll probably head over there. Especially if the weather stays as nice as it's been.

GP is your best choice early, IMO. an important sonar trick for koke fishing, the lake might be 200feet deep but you only care, especially early in the season, about the top 40 or 50 feet (maybe down to 80 by July), so zoom that sonar and you will get a much better look at the schools of fish. Of all the rigging and lure options for kokanee, I think perhaps the two most important things to successfully harvesting them: troll really really slow, 0.8 to 1.2mph, and always tip the lures with a piece of shoepeg corn. I like to soak mine in Mikes "Kokanee" Lunker Lotion and apply it on the boat; also always have some corn soaked in a garlic scent to try and back-up for a tough day is anise scent . cheers, roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
I was in your shoes a few years ago, Jamie (Lowe standards- LOL).

Went to Triangle lake (Lane Co.) trolled something called wedding rings behind small flashers. Caught two of the chromest fish I have ever landed.

Fish seemed small and were released, I wasn't in it to keep any just wanted to catch some kokes.

Good luck,

Triangle might be a good early choice due to weather/water temp but koke population is not very high, no extra koke limit there, and as you noted, they are reported as not very large. 6-7" kokes are not much fun, anything over 9" or so is tasty, over 12" is the goal...

Last edited:
C_Run
C_Run
I barely know what I am doing but have not been skunked in April at GP trolling hoochies with corn behind a flasher and an ounce of weight. Let me know if you want to go ala kayak in April. Have extra kayaks and gear and will probably go three or four times. I just hope the fish are bigger than last year.

jhop111
jhop111
I went to gp yesterday. Fished from 8am to 5pm. Fish were not schooling and what we did see were on the move. I top lined two rods and ran another at 10 to 15 all with standard colors flashers or dodgers that we swapped around for a couple hours. That said I netted 1 skinny 8 inch kokanee. I covered from the thistle arm to the island to the dam and up both eastern arms. I ran the side scan a lot looking out 30 ft on each side and still no schools. Water level had dropped temp was 49.7. Fished with 1 boat who missed one and left after a couple hours. Still a beautiful day with no wind or rain. I should have gone to crescent and hit Macks though

jamisonace
jamisonace
C_Run said:
I barely know what I am doing but have not been skunked in April at GP trolling hoochies with corn behind a flasher and an ounce of weight. Let me know if you want to go ala kayak in April. Have extra kayaks and gear and will probably go three or four times. I just hope the fish are bigger than last year.

Let me know when you go. That sounds fun.

S
steelhead_slayer
If your planning on heading this way already Wickiup had some nice sized kokanee too. Lake billy chinook had smaller fish but a lot of them.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks for reminding me about wickiup. I've heard good things about Kokanee up there.

steelhead_slayer said:
If your planning on heading this way already Wickiup had some nice sized kokanee too. Lake billy chinook had smaller fish but a lot of them.

S
steelhead_slayer
It's usually best to get on the water early at Wickiup because the wind can really pick up in the afternoon.

C
CPLLEWIS
Billy Chinook is doing well this late winter. I have done 7 trips so far this year and most have been very successful. chartruese and watermelon have been the producing colors for me trolled at 1.2 mph.

C
CPLLEWIS
I will second that comment. We sunk two out of twenty four boats in a bass tournament three years ago when the wind picked up.

C
CPLLEWIS
Jamisonace,You sent me some OFF stickers a few years ago and I owe you a fishing trip. you are welcome to chase Kokes in my boat anytime you want. Billy Chinnok is pretty hot right now.

jamisonace said:
I'm determined to catch my first Kokanee this year. After having spent hundreds of dollars a few years ago on equipment that I never used, I'm going to break it out.

You guys that catch these things by the dozens: when can a guy expect to start catching them at Odell.

Or even Green Peter.

Thanks!

jamisonace
jamisonace
That would be awesome! I'm in Bend pretty regularly. Let me know when you have an extra seat.

Thx!

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
1 more week!!!:thumb:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
tick tick tick...4 more days, go get'em but watch that weather, still very early in the year and at that altitude, conditions can change quickly...

NOAA:
Friday- A chance of rain and snow showers, mainly before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday Night- Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Saturday- A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47.
Saturday Night- A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Sunday- Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51.
Sunday Night- A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.
Monday- A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51.
Monday Night- Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 35.
Tuesday- Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51.