knowledge of the middle fork

S
Stealiedan
New to the forum just moved out to the area and have chosen the middle fork to be my class room in learning to fish rivers and for steel head, have been down to the dam a few time bank drifting with pink yarn and no luck, I will be getting a pontoon boat soon and want to learn to float that stretch of river from the dam down to jasper. Any help, information, tips would be greatly apperciated don't worry I'm a fast learner and promise not to get to much in the way while I'm out on the river.thanks in advance for the help

T
the_intimidator03
i will be out there tomorrow actually for chinook. Wouldnt hurt having another folk out there if ur open for it

Welcome to the forums, I am a noobie with the middle fork

S
Stealiedan
thanks for the invite but have to return back to work, have schedule my weeks this summer to be able to fish on tuesday, so if avaiable i will be down to explore more of this mighty river

Troutski
Troutski
Willy

Willy

Welcome to OFF, nice to have another local on the site. You picked a very nice section of river to learn; not sure what your experience level is navigating moving water. That particular section has a few technical areas on it, keep your wits about yourself and you will live to fish again;). That should be about a four hour drift not including fishing, I cut my teeth on that section...it is what helped me focus my time on Trout.....a very good Trout river; and over looked.
Tight lines to you and be safe.

Chuck

S
Stealiedan
Yeah I'm a greenhorn when it comes to floating rivers, l will be getting my pontoon in a couple of weeks will test it out on few resevors first to get my barings down before I attempt the willy, until then I will be learning the river from the bank. But if any one out there willing to give a newbie a few tips on floating the river I'm all ears.

Troutski
Troutski
Leaburg Lake

Leaburg Lake

When I got my toon, the advice I was given was to do Leaburg Lake....put in at Ikes and float to the dam and then row back up stream....
It will give you an idea on what it will be like rowing up stream. The difference is the danger factor, you will learn how to control your craft and how very little effort it takes to actually row up stream. Use your common sense and you will do fine, a life jacket will float - you won't. Words to live by...
Tight lines and be well.

Chuck

S
Stealiedan
colors

colors

So how do you know what colors to us for yarn and corkies for fishing for steel head, I been using different shades of pink and oranges. Went out this mlorning down below the dexter dam on the hatchery side down by the parking lot, had better luck than the last two times I been down there, I actully had a bit but lost it reeling it in. Seen a lot of fish jumping and a few caught some next to me, but am still having trouble identifying a bit or bottom while drift fishing, it constantly thinking if that is a rock or bit, so I am working on my reaction and jerk. I know that is a major part of steel head fishing but any help in trying to distinguish between the two would be greatly apperciated. Going out again tomorrow to try again, going to keep at it until I caught something. Keep u all posted if anything spectacuar happens