Klamath River

S
sportsmanlio
The river was below average this year. Although I still got a lot of fish, I had trouble because of the record-high flows. This was the most water we'd had in 15 years, and the water levels reflected it.

Still, in the last few weeks it was open, I caught several nice fish. Pics attached. The largest was 3 lbs, another was 2.5 lbs, and several fell in between 2 and 2.5 lbs.

S
skunk
Sweet, someday I guess I need to visit that river.

S
sportsmanlio
It is truly the best place I've ever been to catch a lot of large trout. Most years, you can have days where you catch 15-20 fish in an afternoon...all ranging from 1.5-5+ lbs.

F
funstarfish
how is the public access for wading?

S
sportsmanlio
It is very good. As far as I know, the access to the river from the Keno Dam down to J.C. Boyle Dam is completely public on at least one side. Additonally, since all free-flowing water bodies in the state of Oregon are publically accessible up to 15' past the high-water mark, you shouldn't have any problems.

Normally I wet-wade in shorts and tennis shoes, but the water was so high this year that I had to use waders. Still, about 60% of the areas I fish are wade-able as long as you pay attention. There are 20' deep holes in a few places, so use common sense, and look before you leap.

There is a lot of wading access within the first mile or so below the Keno Dam.