Klamath River Rainbows

F
fishfry
Over the past couple weeks I've managed to make it down to the Klamath River about four times. Water levels have been good and the color is managable once again. Two weekends ago it was really muddy but I still managed to catch four 18-19 inchers. This week has been great with perfect water levels. Monday I took my brother down there and managed to get him on a nice fat 20 incher (his biggest so far). Took my ultra light gear like an idiot ( I knew better ) and ended up loosing a real nice 22 + incher due to rapids. For that stretch of river a medium pole and at least 8lb line is a must if you want any chance of landing a big one. Still ended up landing 7 nice bows throughout the day. I went down again yesterday and had an amazing day. It was nice and clear but didn't get above freezing all day. Ended up landing 15 bows. The biggest were 21 1/2 and 20 1/2 inches, then several 17-18's and lots in the 15 inch range. My friend and his son came down for the morning and he landed five. We even had a double at one point in the morning. I hooked into a 20 + incher and he hooked into a super fat 18 incher. Anyway it was a beautiful yet cold day. Worth every second of the cold and hike though.

• 2010-12-16_10-24-31_1.jpg
  • 2010-12-16_10-23-11_426.jpg
  • 2010-12-13_14-53-58_270.jpg
  • 2010-12-13_16-24-37_472.jpg
  • 2010-12-04_12-57-10_275.jpg
Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Nice fish!! congrats!!! Beautiful looking fish.

Do you mind if I ask what you were using?

-Spydey

F
fishfry
Of course spydy. I was using a CD7 (sinking) black and silver rapala on 8 lb line. (German brown color works as well) I fish all the big holes. I cast out as far as possible (usually as close to the other bank as possible) I let it sink down and do a slow twitching retrieve (to make it look as much like a wounded minnow as possible). Allot of these fish are self hookers and will just murder it. If your losing allot on short strikes I replace the treble hooks with the next size up. Since im a smoker I also use scent spray to mask it. I prefer gulp crawfish scent in the spray bottle but this is just a preference. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
F
fishfry
Almost forgot. Another good method is to use a size 15 panther martin ( black and gold). Cast it way out in those deep holes, let it sink and retrieve as slow as possible. You'll lose a few lures learning the holes so bring some extras and have fun! Its a beautiful river.

S
Spydeyrch
Wow, thanks for the info. It sounds like a really well producing river. I wish I could get down to it more often. I live up here next to P-Town so it is a little ways away.

Again, congrats on those fish, they are awesome!!

-Spydey

T
Throbbit _Shane
Once again, those are great looking rainbows!!!! :D

C
colbypearson
fishfry said:
Over the past couple weeks I've managed to make it down to the Klamath River about four times. Water levels have been good and the color is managable once again. Two weekends ago it was really muddy but I still managed to catch four 18-19 inchers. This week has been great with perfect water levels. Monday I took my brother down there and managed to get him on a nice fat 20 incher (his biggest so far). Took my ultra light gear like an idiot ( I knew better ) and ended up loosing a real nice 22 + incher due to rapids. For that stretch of river a medium pole and at least 8lb line is a must if you want any chance of landing a big one. Still ended up landing 7 nice bows throughout the day. I went down again yesterday and had an amazing day. It was nice and clear but didn't get above freezing all day. Ended up landing 15 bows. The biggest were 21 1/2 and 20 1/2 inches, then several 17-18's and lots in the 15 inch range. My friend and his son came down for the morning and he landed five. We even had a double at one point in the morning. I hooked into a 20 + incher and he hooked into a super fat 18 incher. Anyway it was a beautiful yet cold day. Worth every second of the cold and hike though.

beautiful fish dude!!! :)

B
BobbiDollPDX
Wow fat trout!

S
steelhead_slayer
great post, info, and fish!!!!!

B
bigfootfish
Absolutely awesome bows, fishfry! Welcome to OFF. What part of the K were you fishing, if I may ask?

BFF

M
MIKE (YGA)
where at on the klamath was that?? i fish down in happy camp

T
Thuggin4Life
Great report! Nice catch, gonna have to make it down and fish this river someday.

S
skunk
Nice report, and thanks for all the info. I always tell people don't worry about sharing with me, I won't catch anything your fishing for. LOL

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. Those are HAWGS...plain n' simple! Nice job; and thanks for sharing.

That's one river that's on my Bucket list!

M
metalmania
Nice work dude!

B
beaverfan
Jeez, how many of those big bows you got on your tag this year?

Wait your fishin' in Cali huh?

Last edited:
W
waco
nice fish!!! you always getting big ones!!! nice work!!!!

M
Mad dog
Nice job Fishfry! :clap:

Looks like you made the right choice over fishing the lake! ;)

F
fishfry
beaverfan said:
Jeez, how many of those big bows you got on your tag this year?

Wait your fishin' in Cali huh?

Well as far as I can recall I have over 40 bows between 21 and 29 1/2 inches since Oct 4 and just as many 15 to 20 inchers which I enjoy as well. And no I've never fished in cali in my life, just oregon and never more than an hour from my house. Been the best trout year of my life. Man I missed oregon and am sure glad I came back lol. Im in love with rapalas now! Its the first time I've really used them seriously and ill never look back.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
You do realize that Rainbow Trout over 16 inches in streams/rivers are considered Steelhead and need to be tagged as such? Also isn't trout season closed on the Klamath?