Killer action on the coast yesterday

T
The Nothing
yesterday was a DREAM day at Pacific City.

I started off getting hit by lings. Something in my head told me 28" minimum, so i threw back a few keepers on the day. I had an easy half dozen lings and underlings by the time a few other kayak guys caught up with me. I also picked up a single almost 20" cab that was released as they arrived.

As I continued drifting, the bite slowed a bit until we got up to the north reef. Once everyone turned their back, I was back in the game. I drifted over a huge school of rockies. I spent the rest of the day just pounding on these guys. Doubles and triples were constantly going off. Hits on the drop, the works. I picked up a few cabezon and underlings here and there, but mostly rocks. The action, for me, only stopped when I stopped fishing to get the fly rod together. By the time I had it strung, and my fly tied on, I had drifted well past where I had spent the day, and had a hard time finding the school, despite the waypoint i had marked.

Fish a bit more by the Rock, but the time I got there I was definitely thinking it was Beer:30.

Coming back in, I totally mis-judged the landing, and over-braced a wave. it broke right underneath me, broadside, and i rolled it over. Broke my fly rod (inside the kayak), and lost my jigs, measure board, tape measure, but came away relatively unscathed. If the battery on my camera wasn't dead, i would have had the whole thing on video...

Here are a few pics. I caught probably 10 total lingcod (including undersized and a few keepers), couple cabezon, and probably 20 black and blue rockfish.

• 2-22-2011_015.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_018.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_007.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_002.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_019.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_003.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_008.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_020.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_005.jpg
  • 2-22-2011_011.jpg
R
RunWithSasquatch
I love your posts, you get it done! Another awesome day by you.

Y
youngbuck307
Dude it's been a while how u been??? Looks like u had a blast out there!

N
nwkiller
awesome post man!!

T
the_intimidator03
Nice Report... My question is.... why is your hand in the mouth of a lingcod? LOL I wouldnt do that, can't seem to find a point around all the teeth thats safe. and how are those cabby's with their teeth? been so long since i caught one.

B
beaverfan
Ya The Nothing always has great posts and videos! Fishing a kayak in the salt would be so much fun, I'm gonna have to try it someday!

T
Thuggin4Life
Great Pics! Ocean looks so calm. was out of newport saturday with averaging 13' swells.

F
Finneus Polebender
Nice fish great pics thanks for sharin

S
skunk
Always love reading your posts. Good job!

A
Amberjack
Great job.. admire the fact you are doing this in a yak.

A
Amberjack
beaverfan said:
Ya The Nothing always has great posts and videos! Fishing a kayak in the salt would be so much fun, I'm gonna have to try it someday!

Not today.. was an ugly ocean today. Please pay attention to the reports, and they are not always accurate.

M
Moe
Thats the way! Great job those are awesome fish!

N
Noahk
Looks like a blast! Nice job!

T
todd_brooks
That sounds like a very cool day. And those fish are some beautifully ugly fish. I two will have to try some of that someday. Minus the rolling over part I hope.

B
bythesea
well I got skunked today so I just thought I'd come back and look at your fish AGAIN! I wish we had some rock piles down here in florence.o 'well I'll live for another day.....FISH-ON!!!

T
The Nothing
Thanks all

Kayak fishing in the salt is a lot of fun, but does require a lot of planning and safety gear. You'll see I'm wearing dry gear to keep me dry should I end up in the water (like i did on the way back in), a PDF (always, no matter where I'm fishing), and a VHF radio to communicate with the Coast Guard in case of emergency, and to talk to other folks on the water. Planning a trip starts days out when I check on forcasts from NOAA and MagicSeaweed surf forcast. NOAAs forcasts tend to be extreme, where MagicSeaweed tends to be more realistic. I think its good to check on both though. I usually look for days when the swell/wave height is less than 5'.

I totally failed to post the video from the trip!

[YOUTUBE]TR9aCqortY4[/YOUTUBE]

T
The Nothing
the_intimidator03 said:
Nice Report... My question is.... why is your hand in the mouth of a lingcod? LOL I wouldnt do that, can't seem to find a point around all the teeth thats safe. and how are those cabby's with their teeth? been so long since i caught one.

It takes some skill, and some pretty tough hands to do this with lings... as for the cabby's teeth, they're just like 24grit sandpaper, not much to worry about.

N
Noahk
Great video!

B
bythesea
did you have to go out that far? the swells are gone.It looks so calm for this time of the year.one question, what's the biggest fish you've brought up while in your kayak? what a day.....FISH-ON!!!

G
gmcnair
The Nothing said:
yesterday was a DREAM day at Pacific City.

I started off getting hit by lings. Something in my head told me 28" minimum, so i threw back a few keepers on the day. I had an easy half dozen lings and underlings by the time a few other kayak guys caught up with me. I also picked up a single almost 20" cab that was released as they arrived.

As I continued drifting, the bite slowed a bit until we got up to the north reef. Once everyone turned their back, I was back in the game. I drifted over a huge school of rockies. I spent the rest of the day just pounding on these guys. Doubles and triples were constantly going off. Hits on the drop, the works. I picked up a few cabezon and underlings here and there, but mostly rocks. The action, for me, only stopped when I stopped fishing to get the fly rod together. By the time I had it strung, and my fly tied on, I had drifted well past where I had spent the day, and had a hard time finding the school, despite the waypoint i had marked.

Fish a bit more by the Rock, but the time I got there I was definitely thinking it was Beer:30.

Coming back in, I totally mis-judged the landing, and over-braced a wave. it broke right underneath me, broadside, and i rolled it over. Broke my fly rod (inside the kayak), and lost my jigs, measure board, tape measure, but came away relatively unscathed. If the battery on my camera wasn't dead, i would have had the whole thing on video...

Here are a few pics. I caught probably 10 total lingcod (including undersized and a few keepers), couple cabezon, and probably 20 black and blue rockfish.

How are you rigging up?