Kilchis River trout question

R
RDB
So it has been a long time since I posted last. I started fishing last year but with a chronically ill child it was hard to get out a lot.

I finally picked it up this year and went out for the first time to try my hand at trout fishing. I was camping on the Kilchis so I had the opportunity to spend some time on the river. I caught three small cutthroats all under 7". Has anyone fished that river before and if so are there any larger fish in the river? My understanding it is more managed for steelhead.

M
markasd
Yes, it is a good winter steel river, with some fall 'nooks as well. Not too sure about trout populations, maybe someone else here does.

Pretty area - I fish it for steel Jan/Feb Mar and have had some good days!

R
RDB
markasd said:
Yes, it is a good winter steel river, with some fall 'nooks as well. Not too sure about trout populations, maybe someone else here does.

Pretty area - I fish it for steel Jan/Feb Mar and have had some good days!

Thanks. I think that is probably has a very small trout population. No one I spoke with caught anything large. Do you fish for steel near the bay?

F
frodog
I have caught some good size cutthroat below kilchis park, 12 to 14 inchers. I usually try around the bridge and then head up to the park and wade down stream tossing spinners into every riffle and suspected holding location.

M
markasd
I like to fish the park area up to the deadline... there are some pretty cool water up there, that river stays pretty clear in the winter so usually I am able to spot a few and sight fish..

Been a few years since I've been out there.

H
halibuthitman
below the logger bridge down to the salt holds some amazing 15-20+ inch fish but more so once the searuns come back in in the fall, I have pulled small hotshots in the tide water almost every month of the year, but once the chum come in the cutt game is truely "on"-