Kilchis float

O
OnTheDrop
^^^^ This.

Spoon feeding Nooks is ridiculously addicting!

T
troutmasta
Friday was a beautiful day on the big K. All the naysayers missed out!

Glad you had a good time.

T
troutmasta
DirectDrive said:
I would say that if the Wilson is about 7.5 on the gauge, the Kilchis MIGHT be at the premium level and color.
It's a guesstimate to be sure, but when the Kilchis is right, the Wilson is usually too high.
The window is often only one day.
Do not put in at the park if the K is low and clear.
You will be dragging your boat over the skinny spots and the fish will be ultra spooky.
Put in at the "logging bridge", instead.

The float from the park is relatively easy if you have some experience on the sticks.
If you've done Whitehorse, this is cake...but it could still kill you if you have a stupid moment.
On these smaller rivers especially, you have to be constantly watching out for trees that were blown down from the last storm.

Make some calls and see if you can get eyes on it before you go.

Good luck.

Edit:
As others have said above, the K is probably going to blown.
In that case, the Necanicum then the NFN usually come in first and in that order.

DirectDrive said:
I wouldn't be trying to backtroll now, in this timeframe.
The game for me would be Chinook....fresh ones.
And for that, I love to backbounce eggs.

If I have a good bouncer in the front seat I'll slowly back through.
If not, I will pick a good spot and drop the hook.
Out of the way of bankies and other boats of course.

My favorite :
18"-24" lead line (on a slider)
Cannonball of the correct size
3'-6" - 4'-0" leader
Flame body/white winged Spin-N-Glo
Juicy glob of eggs

Don't forget the hook and bearing bead !

You need that grey-green water color so you can sit above them and bomb 'em without the boat spooking them.

Tech Tip :
When I was taught to backbounce, my mentor said, "Try to imagine lifting your lead 2" off the bottom for each bounce."
You have to feed line at the beginning for each "bounce". It's kind of like driving with a manual transmission.
You have to get a couple of different motions synchronized to be effective.
If you "lose the bottom", reel in and start over.

Probably one of the best responses I've ever seen on OFF. Nice job Direct Drive:thumb:

*There was a new tree blown down across the K today and about 4 full sized trees that fell OFF the last cliff into the water*

EOBOY
EOBOY
o clarki said:
Well, the water was a lovely green and apparently everyone knew it. It was pretty crowded with 7 or 8 drift boats on the float, and bank fishermen in most spots. Nice mellow float. I had one fish on briefly but it came unpinned pretty quick. I saw a few caught on eggs and a few caught backtrolling.

Which leads me to my next question. Any tips for how to effectively backtroll from a 'toon? I tried for a bit with the rod jammed awkwardly behind me and rowing upstream in current, but I don't think I was getting deep enough. Any tips on best lures/colors? How to secure the rod on the toon? Thanks!!!

What time did you put in? Big ben and I put in at a little after noon. First time I had floated it in my toon. I had the same thought but back bouncing is the way to go and I don't have an anchor and wouldn't in that flow anyway. It was more a scouting trip for Ben and me. Although there where folks fishing with bobber the back bouncer's had the best luck. Saw one Toad at the take out that took my breath away.

Going tomorrow to look at a drift boat for the Big Ben and I. Don't worry Tanner you know I'll still use your service, I like to catch fish.....LOL. And it will just be Ben and I trying to catch fish, no poaching Tanner, I listen to what you say to me.

So everyone keeps your eye's open there may be a drift boat for sale in 6 months. You know what they say "the 2 best day's of a boat owners life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it".

EOBOY

O
OnTheDrop
EOBOY said:
What time did you put in? Big ben and I put in at a little after noon. First time I had floated it in my toon. I had the same thought but back bouncing is the way to go and I don't have an anchor and wouldn't in that flow anyway. It was more a scouting trip for Ben and me. Although there where folks fishing with bobber the back bouncer's had the best luck. Saw one Toad at the take out that took my breath away.

Going tomorrow to look at a drift boat for the Big Ben and I. Don't worry Tanner you know I'll still use your service, I like to catch fish.....LOL. And it will just be Ben and I trying to catch fish, no poaching Tanner, I listen to what you say to me.

So everyone keeps your eye's open there may be a drift boat for sale in 6 months. You know what they say "the 2 best day's of a boat owners life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it".

EOBOY

haha. Love it! Let me know what you find.

T
troutmasta
EOBOY said:
Going tomorrow to look at a drift boat for the Big Ben and I. . And it will just be Ben and I trying to catch fish, n
....and Jeff-

EOBOY
EOBOY
Dude if you are free Big Ben has to work. I am leaving at 9 you want to come jump on board

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk