Kilchis float

O
o clarki
Hi all,

I have a rare weekday off this Friday, and I've been eyeing an exploratory Kilchis float in my pontoon. I was thinking about floating from the County park to the takeout near 101. I've never floated it before but have heard that around 6 ft on the Wilson gauge is a reasonable flow. A few days ago the forecast looked like it would be in good shape, but since then we got a bit more rain than anticipated and it now looks like it will be closer to 7ft than 6 on Friday. Is this too high to float? Too high to fish? I'll probably go out and explore anyway since I have the day off, but would love any insight on the float.

My toon is 10 feet and I've rowed some intermediate water like Whitehorse on the Deschutes. I understand this float is quite a bit more mellow than that.

Thanks for any input!

S
Steelheader4Life
With the rain we got last night and more coming tonight no one will be fishing any where on the coast this weekend!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Steelheader4Life said:
With the rain we got last night and more coming tonight no one will be fishing any where on the coast this weekend!

all of the coast? ;)

D
DrTheopolis
Depends how much the next storm they're talking about dumps on Tillamook. Having such a small drainage, the Kilchis drops very quickly compared to the other area rivers.

C
Colorado Spinner
Fished the Kilchis on Monday

Fished the Kilchis on Monday

:hi: Floated that stretch Monday with a guide. Lots of take downs and bonked two bright nooks. Had a 30#-plus fish break off early on a Spin n Glo with shrimp cocktail and diver. It zipped upriver and took a hard left turn, probably around a rock. Snapped 50-pound Tuff Line. :yikes: Switched to wrapped K-16s in deeper slots later, green tip worked best. Used a diver on the deep side, no diver on the bank side. The bank side was killer.:D Nice green colored water throughout with constant light rain. On the river around 8:00 and off at 1:00. I'm back at work in Colorado today and will submit pics soon. We did that float because the guide said the other rivers were blown. Oh, yeah, is it cool to mention the guide's name?

Last edited:
Casting Call
Casting Call
O C check ur pms. Tony

P
pinstriper
Colorado Spinner said:
Oh, yeah, is it cool to mention the guide's name?

Not since you already revealed the secret spot.

S
Steelheader4Life
rogerdodger said:
all of the coast? ;)

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit LOL! The Tillamook area got hammered the last couple of days and they are predicting another system moving in tonight. The Kilchis does clear pretty quickly but Friday will be iffy if we get the predicted rains tonight. Good luck if you make it out!

Reactions: rogerdodger
C
Colorado Spinner
Thanks Tony. The guide's name is Herman Fleishman of Northwest Fishing Adventures. :) Do you Google or Yahoo?

M
Modest_Man
Biggest issue will be if you can anchor or not if the color is good but the levels are up. Brushy banks and private property mean you won't have many spots to park your vehicle without a good anchor setup, and catarafts/rafts/pontoons don't anchor well in current.

D
DrTheopolis
Modest_Man said:
catarafts/rafts/pontoons don't anchor well in current.

Not the greatest craft for backtrolling, either. But if one is clever enough, they'll figure it out.

O
o clarki
DrTheopolis said:
Not the greatest craft for backtrolling, either. But if one is clever enough, they'll figure it out.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably give it a shot. Might be more of a float than a fish, but I'll learn something for next time.

Any shuttle recommendations?

M
Modest_Man
I just saw a photo on Facebook of the Kilchis 101 boat launch with the river in the parking lot. With a couple more inches of rain in the forecast tonight and into tomorrow I'm doubtful even the Kilchis will fish.

I use Jim's Shuttle Service. (503)-812-3887. $15.

D
DirectDrive
o clarki said:
Hi all,

I have a rare weekday off this Friday, and I've been eyeing an exploratory Kilchis float in my pontoon. I was thinking about floating from the County park to the takeout near 101. I've never floated it before but have heard that around 6 ft on the Wilson gauge is a reasonable flow. A few days ago the forecast looked like it would be in good shape, but since then we got a bit more rain than anticipated and it now looks like it will be closer to 7ft than 6 on Friday. Is this too high to float? Too high to fish? I'll probably go out and explore anyway since I have the day off, but would love any insight on the float.

My toon is 10 feet and I've rowed some intermediate water like Whitehorse on the Deschutes. I understand this float is quite a bit more mellow than that.

Thanks for any input!
I would say that if the Wilson is about 7.5 on the gauge, the Kilchis MIGHT be at the premium level and color.
It's a guesstimate to be sure, but when the Kilchis is right, the Wilson is usually too high.
The window is often only one day.

Do not put in at the park if the K is low and clear.
You will be dragging your boat over the skinny spots and the fish will be ultra spooky.
Put in at the "logging bridge", instead.

The float from the park is relatively easy if you have some experience on the sticks.
If you've done Whitehorse, this is cake...but it could still kill you if you have a stupid moment.
On these smaller rivers especially, you have to be constantly watching out for trees that were blown down from the last storm.

Make some calls and see if you can get eyes on it before you go.

Good luck.

Edit:
As others have said above, the K is probably going to blown.
In that case, the Necanicum then the NFN usually come in first and in that order.

Last edited:
Casting Call
Casting Call
Colorado Spinner said:
Thanks Tony. The guide's name is Herman Fleishman of Northwest Fishing Adventures. :) Do you Google or Yahoo?
Nope! I Don't trust cyber space,too many (spam)hackers. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
DrTheopolis said:
BTDT figured it out. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
o clarki said:
Thanks, guys. I'll probably give it a shot. Might be more of a float than a fish, but I'll learn something for next time.

Any shuttle recommendations?
Bob,s Shuttles...Trask,Wilson,and Kilchis rivers...Rob or Loran 503-801-1366. ........Tony p.s. stop by the Tillamook Meat Market FYI of the area.....

Casting Call
Casting Call
DirectDrive said:
I would say that if the Wilson is about 7.5 on the gauge, the Kilchis MIGHT be at the premium level and color.
It's a guesstimate to be sure, but when the Kilchis is right, the Wilson is usually too high.
The window is often only one day.

Make some calls and see if you can get eyes on it before you go.

Good luck.
Thursday is my recon day!11/19.....Report to follow. Tony

O
o clarki
Casting Call said:
Thursday is my recon day!11/19.....Report to follow. Tony

Well, the water was a lovely green and apparently everyone knew it. It was pretty crowded with 7 or 8 drift boats on the float, and bank fishermen in most spots. Nice mellow float. I had one fish on briefly but it came unpinned pretty quick. I saw a few caught on eggs and a few caught backtrolling.

Which leads me to my next question. Any tips for how to effectively backtroll from a 'toon? I tried for a bit with the rod jammed awkwardly behind me and rowing upstream in current, but I don't think I was getting deep enough. Any tips on best lures/colors? How to secure the rod on the toon? Thanks!!!

D
DirectDrive
I wouldn't be trying to backtroll now, in this timeframe.
The game for me would be Chinook....fresh ones.
And for that, I love to backbounce eggs.

If I have a good bouncer in the front seat I'll slowly back through.
If not, I will pick a good spot and drop the hook.
Out of the way of bankies and other boats of course.

My favorite :
18"-24" lead line (on a slider)
Cannonball of the correct size
3'-6" - 4'-0" leader
Flame body/white winged Spin-N-Glo
Juicy glob of eggs

Don't forget the hook and bearing bead !

You need that grey-green water color so you can sit above them and bomb 'em without the boat spooking them.

Tech Tip :
When I was taught to backbounce, my mentor said, "Try to imagine lifting your lead 2" off the bottom for each bounce."
You have to feed line at the beginning for each "bounce". It's kind of like driving with a manual transmission.
You have to get a couple of different motions synchronized to be effective.
If you "lose the bottom", reel in and start over.

Last edited:
Reactions: troutmasta