Kids day at Dorman Pond

J
JSpencer
Took the kids to have some fun and fishing. My fiance's son caught his first fish today. A nice little bluegill he's having for dinner tonight. I would post a pic but it's not currently letting me.

B
beaverfan
Sweet, is it still fairly clean from the clean up that Project Wilderness did up there?

J
JSpencer
A little cleaner now that I was there. There were several McDonalds bags laying around with garbage in them, some of them near the cans set up there. Here we go got the pic of his first fish, wish i could make it a little bigger though.

th_Bubbasfirstfish.jpg

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Great Job! :clap: Getting the kids in to Fish.
But wait. A BLUEGILL! There still out and Biting? They stopped biting like a month ago at Salish ponds.

Anyways, Great job. Take him out more too. Hes hooked now.

J
JSpencer
There was actually only one biting, i saw some much bigger fish splashing around out further from the bank/weeds but couldnt entice them to bite to see what kind they were (just saw tails here and there).

He first casted that bluegill too. I can't wait to take him trout fishing this summer, he'll really get a kick out of fish that can put up something of a fight.

T
Troutier Bassier
OMG! TAKE HIM SHAD FISHING! When he gets a little better. That will be So Awesome for him.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
OMG! TAKE HIM SHAD FISHING! When he gets a little better. That will be So Awesome for him.

Um no do NOT take him shad fishing right now! Unless you can catch a fish from a fishless river (in terms of shad).

J
JSpencer
dont know jack about shad or fishing for them honestly

F
FishSchooler
JSpencer said:
dont know jack about shad or fishing for them honestly

Ahaha but wait, you don't need to know anything about shad fishing to catch them. :lol:

1-2 oz weights, 1/32 oz chartruese, green, or red/white jigheads with 8 lb line (at least) in the columbia. Cast out as far as you can upstream and let it bounce it's way down, start reeling in slowly, faster and faster as it gets closer to the bank.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yep, Easy as that.
Maybe we could meet. I could show you bonne.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Yep, Easy as that.
Maybe we could meet. I could show you bonne.

Dude, you are talking 8-9 months in the future.

C
chris61182
JSpencer said:
I can't wait to take him trout fishing this summer, he'll really get a kick out of fish that can put up something of a fight.

Don't bother waiting until next summer, there are searun cutts in the coastal rivers right now.

J
JSpencer
I dont usually have weekends off, and he's in school so that's why im going to take him in the summer.

As far as Shad go, i dont even know what they look like. Are they edible?

T
Troutier Bassier
Uhm, I dont think you would Enjoy eating them. They are at Full blast in the Summer. in June and July are peak times.
When I was a kid, About his age my dad took me to cascade locks. I dident catch any though because we went at a bad time. But I still had a lot of fun Casting and stuff.

and wait until May when the "'09 Shad thread" Starts. Youll know everything you need ;)

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Uhm, I dont think you would Enjoy eating them. They are at Full blast in the Summer. in June and July are peak times.
When I was a kid, About his age my dad took me to cascade locks. I dident catch any though because we went at a bad time. But I still had a lot of fun Casting and stuff.

and wait until May when the "'09 Shad thread" Starts. Youll know everything you need ;)

Shad are very delicious... just bony. If you steam them and pick off the meat at the same angle as the bones, it will come away clean. They fight hard and you'll have no trouble telling whether the bite is a fish or a rock. The roe is fantastical however.

search "shad" in the search tool.