Kelley Point Park sturgeon?

I
igquick
I was wondering where is the best spot at Kelley Point Park to fish for sturgeon? Also was wondering when I am technically not supposed to catch and release them in that area

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
igquick;n602859 said:
Also was wondering when I am technically not supposed to catch and release them in that area

Short answer is you should consult the regs. If you are having difficulty understanding specifics in the reg book, I suggest posting that section and asking for clarification (folks on here tend to be very helpful), or contact your local ODFW office. The gals at the Clackamas office are always very friendly when I stop by with questions.

D
DrTheopolis
I've never done it, but used to walk the beach all the time. Pretty sure it's open for C&R year-round (and never open for retention). I've seen guys fishing all along the Willamette side, usually closer to the wingdam at the mouth. Saw a guy pull in a huge channel cat while sturgeon fishing.

C
cdumitru78
I fish the Willamette side at Kelly, there is fish there all along the beach. AFAIK that area is 100% catch and release. The water is high right now, it makes it harder to cast, but I got fish there last weekend, so they are there for sure. Herring works quite well. PM me if you have more questions, happy to help.

C
cdumitru78
DrTheopolis;n603004 said:
I've never done it, but used to walk the beach all the time. Pretty sure it's open for C&R year-round (and never open for retention). I've seen guys fishing all along the Willamette side, usually closer to the wingdam at the mouth. Saw a guy pull in a huge channel cat while sturgeon fishing.

I always wanted to catch channel cats there, do you remember any more details about that? Time of the year maybe, bait used?

D
DrTheopolis
Itwas during summer (can't remember any better than that), and they were fishing for sturgeon. Thing was huge -- probably 10#.

D
Dastanli
No Title

Went last week for the first time in my life. The experience was amazing and I have a new found respect for these dinosaurs. Now I need to find a spot to bank fish. Won't always have a boat available. They are opening up retention for these guys soon. Read about it on the odwf.

• photo31409.jpg
I
igquick
No way, nice sturgeon