Kayaks, canoes, and other oar boats

plumbertom
plumbertom
require an invasive species permit?
Okay, but I want to put my yak on the water right away.
Can this permit be purchased from a local walk in retail store?
I looked for information online and it appears you must mail in for it and wait.

bass
bass
From ODFW:

Paddle craft and other non-motorized vessels 10 feet and over

Permits for non-motorized craft (canoe, kayak, drift boat, etc.) cost $5. This applies to both resident and nonresident boaters.

Buy: Paddle craft permits can be purchased at ODFW license sales agents, ODFW offices that sell licenses, the Marine Board office in Salem and at Marine Board dealers. A $2 agent applies for ODFW channels.

About paddle craft permits

If a permit is purchased online, print the permit and enclose the permit in a zip-lock bag to protect it from water damage.

If you want to purchase a Tyvek tag permit, you can order one from the Marine Board through the mail. (pdf)

My two cents:

So, you can buy an invasive species permit any place that sells fishing licenses. Also most kayak and canoe stores sell them as well. I usually but the Tyvek tag (tough, colorful, waterproof paper) at Next Adventure in Portland, however one year I did buy the permit from Dick's.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bass said:
From ODFW:

Paddle craft and other non-motorized vessels 10 feet and over

Permits for non-motorized craft (canoe, kayak, drift boat, etc.) cost $5. This applies to both resident and nonresident boaters.

Buy: Paddle craft permits can be purchased at ODFW license sales agents, ODFW offices that sell licenses, the Marine Board office in Salem and at Marine Board dealers. A $2 agent applies for ODFW channels.

About paddle craft permits

If a permit is purchased online, print the permit and enclose the permit in a zip-lock bag to protect it from water damage.

If you want to purchase a Tyvek tag permit, you can order one from the Marine Board through the mail. (pdf)

My two cents:

So, you can buy an invasive species permit any place that sells fishing licenses. Also most kayak and canoe stores sell them as well. I usually but the Tyvek tag (tough, colorful, waterproof paper) at Next Adventure in Portland, however one year I did buy the permit from Dick's.

only thing that I would add is that you can move the permit from boat to boat, they are not tied to a single boat or person.

bass
bass
rogerdodger said:
only thing that I would add is that you can move the permit from boat to boat, they are not tied to a single boat or person.

Great point!!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Well, when out on the yak, I put things like my wallet, my phone and my hearing aid in a waterproof box that I store in the zippered compartment on the back of my seat. I'll probably keep the permit with my license and tag, in my wallet. So I don't see the need for a special waterproof material.
I'll be heading to BiMart to get it seeing how I need to go there today anyway.

bass
bass
I only get the Tyvek because it is so tough. You can't tear it and the ink never fades. I have occasionally had issues with the thermal ink fading on the printed tags and such, especially if it gets hot. Not a big deal, just something I like to do.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I know the printed lic, tags and other stuff will turn dark if exposed to sunlight.
At least the ones from Ca. do and Oregons look to be the same.