Kayaking trip?

I was wondering if anyone with a kayak would be interested in a river trip with me for some trout fishing. I was thinking about going to the Lower Nehalem or something similar now that the weather is warming.

I haven't really looked into details and it would be my first trip like this. I stopped by the Spruce Run camping area on Wednesday last week and caught a couple little cut throat in about 10 minutes. From growing up out in that area, I know on a few mile stretch you can catch 10+ fish easy just throwing simple spinners.

I would have to go during the week, either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday which might limit some other folks, but I work weekends.

Anyone up for it?

I found this document about some suggested trips. http://www.tbnep.org/water_trail_guidebooks/nehalem.pdf

I'd be ok to fish down on the flat water towards the bay, or upstream if the whitewater isn't very intense and the flow is decent. It sucks having to get out and push.

Last edited:

pinstriper

I have kayak fished the tidal areas of the Nehalem but higher than that you may find the current and shallows make it a one way trip and you use the kayak as a drift boat. I could be talked into that, actually, depending on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have kayak fished the tidal areas of the Nehalem but higher than that you may find the current and shallows make it a one way trip and you use the kayak as a drift boat. I could be talked into that, actually, depending on the water.
A one way trip would be fine as long as we could set up a shuttle system with 2 vehicles... From how far up have you gone?

EOBOY

Yeah I was floating the Umatilla back in Jr. High in the '60's. I've floated the Clack,Kilches,John Day and I don't know how many others. It's going to be HOT this week good time to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've never fished anything tidal before.. (Novice alert!;))

I found this info for the tides on Tuesday... can you help me understand?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016. Sun 5:29am-8:57pm. low tide 4:10am (0.97ft), high tide 9:19am (5.14ft), low tide 3:55pm (0.67ft), high tide 9:51pm (7.03ft)

So, if we start at or before high tide and go upstream, the tide will be pushing us up, and then if we start to return later, say around 2 pm or so, the tide should be going out, giving us a lift back to the dock...? Is that the right way to think about this?

pinstriper

A one way trip would be fine as long as we could set up a shuttle system with 2 vehicles... From how far up have you gone?
Roy Creek Park. It's tidal through there and a little beyond. I don't know anything about the waters up from there.

There is a riffle just below the bridge below Roy Creek Pk. You can paddle up through it, but it is very shallow during low tide and hard to get the paddle in deep enough to get any stroke. So you really need the incoming tide to help you past those shallows.

pinstriper

Tuesday, May 31, 2016. Sun 5:29am-8:57pm. low tide 4:10am (0.97ft), high tide 9:19am (5.14ft), low tide 3:55pm (0.67ft), high tide 9:51pm (7.03ft)

So, if we start at or before high tide and go upstream, the tide will be pushing us up, and then if we start to return later, say around 2 pm or so, the tide should be going out, giving us a lift back to the dock...? Is that the right way to think about this?
If you want to go upstream from your put-in, you put just after low tide, and let the incoming tide take you up.

If you want to go downstream, you put in before low tide, and use the incoming to bring you back.

The incoming tide stops at high tide. The outgoing tide stops at low tide. Remember there's about an hour of slack tide around high and low, where the movement is pretty much neutral, and you only have to deal with the current.

Don't forget to check the wind. If the wind is blowing downstream, you will be fighting it as well as the current. Wind going opposite the current and the tide will make things very choppy.

pinstriper

Further on this: If those are the tides at Wheeler, then I would plan to put in at Wheeler at, say, 2pm, ride the outgoing to about the big bend and no farther, and let the incoming tide help bring me back to Wheeler.

Second choice would be put in at Wheeler around 6, head UPSTREAM until 10-10:30, and then ride the outgoing back.

Either way, you can fish the morning bite or the early evening bite. The ninja move is to be just south of Wheeler during low slack, troll back and forth during the hours worth of slack, then ride it back to the dock. You can also put in at the county ramp by the bridge above Wheeler, adjusting everything by about 30 minutes. But you have to pay to park there and the launch in downtown Wheeler is free, though there is very little parking.

Under no circumstances would I go in a kayak any lower on the Nehalem than the point directly across from the boat ramp in the state park.

Further on this: If those are the tides at Wheeler, then I would plan to put in at Wheeler at, say, 2pm, ride the outgoing to about the big bend and no farther, and let the incoming tide help bring me back to Wheeler.

Second choice would be put in at Wheeler around 6, head UPSTREAM until 10-10:30, and then ride the outgoing back.

Either way, you can fish the morning bite or the early evening bite. The ninja move is to be just south of Wheeler during low slack, troll back and forth during the hours worth of slack, then ride it back to the dock. You can also put in at the county ramp by the bridge above Wheeler, adjusting everything by about 30 minutes. But you have to pay to park there and the launch in downtown Wheeler is free, though there is very little parking.

Under no circumstances would I go in a kayak any lower on the Nehalem than the point directly across from the boat ramp in the state park.
Dang, thank you so much for this! I'll read your posts a few more times to wrap my head around it and check out the maps and charts again.

Actually, after reading again, if i plan to go upstream, why those times? For example 6 am launch and return at 10? Why wouldn't i want to launch at say 5 instead?

pinstriper

Dang, thank you so much for this! I'll read your posts a few more times to wrap my head around it and check out the maps and charts again.

Actually, after reading again, if i plan to go upstream, why those times? For example 6 am launch and return at 10? Why wouldn't i want to launch at say 5 instead?
Because 5 o'clock only happens once a day in my world. And if you're going with Dana, sometimes not even that often, due to his afternoon nap.

But actually, if you had a light on your kayak like a visipole, etc. You could launch earlier. Pretty much as soon as low slack hits, start paddling upstream. But if you wait a while it gets even easier as the incoming tide counters some of the current.

Because 5 o'clock only happens once a day in my world. And if you're going with Dana, sometimes not even that often, due to his afternoon nap.

But actually, if you had a light on your kayak like a visipole, etc. You could launch earlier. Pretty much as soon as low slack hits, start paddling upstream. But if you wait a while it gets even easier as the incoming tide counters some of the current.
Haha!
That makes sense. Thank you

EOBOY

Well! After looking at the tides (times) and taking my NAP into consideration, and the skinny conditions of the Nehalem I think I'll pass. I'm not to interested in trolling tide water. With the weather so good the Clack is looking more viable.

Well! After looking at the tides (times) and taking my NAP into consideration, and the skinny conditions of the Nehalem I think I'll pass. I'm not to interested in trolling tide water. With the weather so good the Clack is looking more viable.
Ok, fair enough!