Kayak self recovery...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
thought I would post this as "related to fishing" since this practice is part of me (hopefully) moving up the learning curve that later this year will have me fishing all over the Siuslaw when the Kings start coming in, right down to A4 bouy/jaws....not sure if I am going into the ocean this year but you never know, the right stretch of nice weather and I might get my chance...

I added a step to help get in from the back, the "Lab containment rails" I installed are very sturdy, and I even tried standing/balancing on the very back deck of the kayak, big fun...cheers, roger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5evSqAoR17E&feature=youtube_gdata

C_Run
C_Run
Well, you're a stud. Shouldn't you flip the kayak over to make it more realistic and then be grabbing for all your rods, knives, etc?:lol:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
Well, you're a stud. Shouldn't you flip the kayak over to make it more realistic and then be grabbing for all your rods, knives, etc?:lol:

well, I think grabbing for loose stuff would imply having loose or untethered stuff to lose....:D:D:D

yes, flipping the boat back to correct side up is another skill, for a wide boat like the PA12, the best approach seems to be having about a 3' rope near mid-ship on one side that you can toss across the upside down hull, then swim around to the other side and pull on that rope to roll the boat towards you. it is on my list...

cheers, roger

bass
bass
That step on the back for the PA is a great idea. It is almost cheating it is so easy to get back in. Nice job!

I practiced getting back into my Outback a few times the first day I had it. Fortunately I am tall with long arms so I can easily reach over the top to grab the carry handle on the far side. Then it is a kick, a pull with the hand on the far side handle and a push on the near side rail and I am back in. Not too graceful looking but it works. I need to practice getting back into my Frontier. I am not sure I can reach all the way across. Maybe rigging a step like you have somewhere on the yak would work. Thanks for providing some food for thought.

T
Tinker
You're a heck of a nice guy, and extremely ingeniuos, but I thought only a numbskull abandons a perfectly good boat! :) And you did it twice! Wearing your sunglasses!

I think the step is a stroke of genius, dude. Brilliant! Good job, Roger.