Kayak rigging...1

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
finally got my kit together and thought I would post some pictures, my goal has been to get my PA12 outfitted so that I could configure it as needed for a wide range of fishing outings and water conditions.

(I will post seperate threads with details and pictures on the trolling motor, downrigger and sail....)

sonar on right side is a Lowrance Elite7-HDI (normal sonar and downscan) and on the left side is my Garmin 450T (map and speed).

rod holders on each side are Scotty Rocket Launchers, work fine for all my poles and I can reach them from the seat by leaning forward slightly.

red TraderJoes insulated bag ($4.99) fits perfectly under the seat as a fish cooler/bag, positioning it with the zipper in front means no need to remove it- I just unzip a little and slide the bonked fish in...2 small reusable ice packs inside keep it cool all day...measures 22" diagonally so even a coho or steelhead would fit with the tail hanging out...:D

rear deck: I call those 'canine containment rails' but they are also helpful in getting back into the boat from the aft and they help with the trolling motor mounting....

cheers, roger

H
Hawk
Very Nice...Well Done bro...It may be more comfortable for you to put a handle extension on your trolling motor

:cool::D

:clap::clap::clap:

C_Run
C_Run
Looks really great but, boy, do I every feel inadequate all of a sudden. :(

Today I was thinking that what we kayak fishermen really need is a cloaking device like the Romulans had in Star Trek.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Hawk said:
Very Nice...Well Done bro...It may be more comfortable for you to put a handle extension on your trolling motor

:cool::D

:clap::clap::clap:

Hawk- did you see the close-up that I posted in the thread on the motor and down rigger? the motor handle, which does extend a foot or so if wanted, comes right up behind the down rigger and is at a good location to the right of the seat, I can rest my right hand on the motor handle and my left hand is on the rudder control handle...I was very comfortable moving into a strong wind and 2' whitecaps on GP last week, I got hit with lots of spray but never a problem to hold my course at 2-3mph...cheers, roger

bass
bass
Looks good but why do you feel you need the electric on top of the pedal drive? I am kicking around the idea of registering my Nucanoe frontier so I can use my electric motor on it but I can't imagine wanting a motor on my Outback. Do you leave the pedals at home when you use the electric?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bass said:
Looks good but why do you feel you need the electric on top of the pedal drive? I am kicking around the idea of registering my Nucanoe frontier so I can use my electric motor on it but I can't imagine wanting a motor on my Outback. Do you leave the pedals at home when you use the electric?

great question, I plan to always have the Mirage drive (and for that matter the paddle). I find the electric to be a big advantage when trolling with 2 poles on lakes, I pedal troll with the motor in the water but turned off (nice trolling speed at my normal pedal cadence), when one pole hooks up I can quickly twist the motor to say 20% and it maintains my direction (think windy conditions) and speed at about 1.5mph, so I can focus fully on the fish, even turning into the fight to bring it in easier if I want.

Even with one pole deployed (river Chinook trolling for example), I will be able to click it on when I need to do something that makes continuous pedaling difficult (getting in the forward hold for some eats, rigging a fresh herring on my alternate pole....). Also, my PA12 rudder "stalls" at just under 1mph and I lose steering, so I am thinking that when fighting a big salmon there might be an advantage to having the motor keep the kayak moving so I can steer to avoid other boats, maintain position against tide/current, move towards a better location or orientation for netting....

So I definitely think there are situations when I will want to stop pedalling but not slow to a drift and lose steering control. And for sure, the extra thrust and steering control feels real nice when I want to get somewhere in rough/choppy water... cheers, roger