Kayak gator fishing, 12-10-11

bass
bass
This past weekend some of the folks from northwestkayakanglers.com arranged for a friendly C&R kayak sturgeon fishing tournament on the Willamette. Next Adventure and Groundswell Kayak fishing were there serving up hot food and hot drinks. I ended up being fortunate and winning the tournament (I am pdxfisher on that site).

One of the guys who was there put together a nice video. If you want to see some crazy folks fishing in kayaks in freezing temps for sturgeon and get a glimpse of the winning fish you can check out the video at:

http://www.youtube.com/v/rh-1GGmagOg...d=1&showinfo=1

I do have a full report posted on the kayak site describing the battle, but it is pretty long so I did not post it here (I can if folks are interested).

I hope you enjoy!

Reactions: Raincatcher
C_Run
C_Run
Just got done reading your story on NWKA. Sounds like a fish of a lifetime. You guys are awesome.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Congratulations on your win! I love watching folks in kayaks, they're so graceful. Thanks for sharing.

J
joesnuffy
I'm sorry that i wasn't able to make it over there this time. I'd have loved to see you fight the fish in person. Maybe even get one myself? :p

M
minnowmagnet
that sounds awesome

that sounds awesome

That sounds like a lot of fun. I just got a kayak and have been fishing near Sellwood Bridge lately. I caught an oversized the last two times out. 1 was about 5ft and the other close to 6. No good photos because I couldn't get the whole fish in one shot from the boat. They feel a lot bigger from the yak and it's a blast getting tugged around. Good job on winning the tourney. I can't wait to tag a couple of fish when the Willy opens.

bass said:
This past weekend some of the folks from northwestkayakanglers.com arranged for a friendly C&R kayak sturgeon fishing tournament on the Willamette. Next Adventure and Groundswell Kayak fishing were there serving up hot food and hot drinks. I ended up being fortunate and winning the tournament (I am pdxfisher on that site).

One of the guys who was there put together a nice video. If you want to see some crazy folks fishing in kayaks in freezing temps for sturgeon and get a glimpse of the winning fish you can check out the video at:

http://www.youtube.com/v/rh-1GGmagOg...d=1&showinfo=1

I do have a full report posted on the kayak site describing the battle, but it is pretty long so I did not post it here (I can if folks are interested).

I hope you enjoy!

N
Noahk
minnowmagnet said:
That sounds like a lot of fun. I just got a kayak and have been fishing near Sellwood Bridge lately. I caught an oversized the last two times out. 1 was about 5ft and the other close to 6. No good photos because I couldn't get the whole fish in one shot from the boat. They feel a lot bigger from the yak and it's a blast getting tugged around. Good job on winning the tourney. I can't wait to tag a couple of fish when the Willy opens.
Make sure you check out northwestkayakanglers.com, lots of group events in the area. Lots of info too. What type of kayak are you fishing out of?

M
minnowmagnet
Noahk said:
Make sure you check out northwestkayakanglers.com, lots of group events in the area. Lots of info too. What type of kayak are you fishing out of?

not to take over the thread, but thanks for the info. The Nothing also informed me about the website, so I'll check it out. I'm fishing in a Native Ultimate 12 canoe hybrid.

bass
bass
Great job minnowmagnet! It sure is a blast catching those dinos out of a kayak. You should definitely check out NWKA. There are a lot of good and friendly kayak fisherman on that site.

T
troutguide
nicely done! Looks like a lot of fun, will definitely have to check out NWKA now. :)