Kayak fishing the Willamette 11-26

N
Noahk
On Saturday I had the opportunity to tag along with a few experienced Kayak fishermen on the Willamette for my first attempt at catching a Sturgeon. I believe there were a total of 8-9 kayaks on hand, including Joesnuffy. After a couple of issues with my rudder lines I was finally on the water around 8:30. A couple of fish were picked up right off the bat and then the bite seemed to slow a bit. After a few bites and trying to figure out exactly when to set the hook I hooked up and landed my first fish round 10:00! Certainly no monster but it was a blast bringing it in, especially with my semi light salmon rod I was using. I ended up with 3 fish caught between 10:00 and 12:30 before I had to pull off the water about 12:30. I was using a small amount of left over herring and some smelly jelly (I think that's what it's called) scent.
First fish.

I'm not sure what the total count of fish landed was but I think most of the guys ended up with 5-6 fish each. All released of course. Here is one of the bigger fish caught,
i-tccNFjb-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: C_Run
B
bigsteel
WOW,way to nail em in your kayak,that last one looks longer then they kayak

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice job noah! i can't wait to come try that, haven't sturgeon fished since spring

C_Run
C_Run
That looks fun, glad to hear everyone got something. Got to get out there and try that sometime- you make it look easy.

Reactions: Tribal16
T
TTFishon
Nice!!! Looks like a fun trip!

B
billfisher
Good job guys, thats gotta be fun in a kayak!

W
waco
Nice report there!!! You have caught every single fish species in your kayak!!! Just don't hook up an over size one, you'll be taken for a ride!!! ;)

J
joesnuffy
waco said:
Just don't hook up an over size one, you'll be taken for a ride!!! ;)

That's going to be a fun ride. (when it happens)

Since June(ish) I've caught Bass, Crappy, Perch, Trout, Salmon and now Sturgeon out of the Yak. I can't wait until the next trip out.

Reactions: waco
N
Noahk
waco said:
Nice report there!!! You have caught every single fish species in your kayak!!! Just don't hook up an over size one, you'll be taken for a ride!!! ;)
It happens all the time. They're referred to as Nantucket Sleigh rides!

It's been a blast this year fishing out of the yak. I'd to catch a few more :)

Reactions: waco
F
Fish a holic
That looks like a ton of fun, been gettin' the sturgeon bug myself lately

Reactions: bigsteel
N
nwkiller
so sick noah and joe....way to kick sturge!

R
rawkfish
You guys killed it! Nice pics!

L
lilsalmon
nice fish and pics!!!

J
jawjacker
Hope you get to go for a sleigh ride for Christmas. That looks like a blast.