Kayak camping & fishing trip - late June

sixteenvolt

I'm planning on kayaking & camping along the water trail during the last week of June this year (3 to 4 nights). Do you have any suggestions for longer stretches of fishing during that time of the year? I'm not looking for big bites from salmon or anything, but mainly interested in lots of bites (even if the fish are little; planning to catch and release).

pinstriper

When you say “the water trail” is that something specific ?

Paddle Oregon goes from south of Corvallis to Portland in about that many days. I don’t think they dawdle on the way, though. There is lots of bassy water on the upper Willamette.

C_Run

The sloughs and sluggish tribs like the Luckiamute would be good bets for bass in that stretch. Power boats fish salmon and steelhead at the confluence with the Santiam about that time.

sixteenvolt

I'm thinking of having an extended stay around the Luckiamute and seeing what happens around there. Could be interesting to pack my salmon rod and try my luck at the mouth of the Santiam from shore; we'll see how much extra room I have in my kayak. Thanks for the ideas!

C_Run

There is a Greenway campsite right there at the Luckiamute confluence. There used to be a campsite on Wells Island right below the Buena Vista Ferry but I'm not sure if that still exists.

A few years back i did a 3 or 4 day float starting at the belt line bridge in Eugene and ended up in corvallis. It could probably be done in half the time but I stopped alot to fish and look for rocks. It's a real nice stretch of water.