Kayak bilge pump, cheap, floats, lightweight, battery less, saves the day

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I've had a few messages on facebook about it already, but one of the few "have to have" items in my kayak at all times, is a turkey baster.

It's by far the simplest bilge pump for rainy days or rogue waves, I also use it to clean up the gunnels if I track in mud or a fish bleeds a little.

Came in super handy today in the rain, I'll just toss a senko, set the rod down, and make a few quick pumps from the low spots in the kayak, ascend has really done some upgrades for waterflow in their newer models, but this one has about a dozen spots water can settle with no way for it to run and collect in one spot.

All my scuppers are plugged full time. It'll actually sink the kayak if the back 2 aren't in

I also have one of those giant water syringe water guns from the dollar store inside the main compartment in the hull, for times that there's too much for the baster.
03a865615a26e06eaa40989577a7fc03.jpg
d8505c9751b5ee0ab8427c6593b5af76.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fromthelogo
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I also carry a small Dollar Store water shooter in my bow hold.

I'm curious about having all the scupper holes plugged, have you done any 'roll and recovery' practice in this configuration? Are you able to climb right back on and get underway? Or would you need to pull scupper plugs and let it drain?

cheers, roger

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
rogerdodger said:
I also carry a small Dollar Store water shooter in my bow hold.

I'm curious about having all the scupper holes plugged, have you done any 'roll and recovery' practice in this configuration? Are you able to climb right back on and get underway? Or would you need to pull scupper plugs and let it drain?

cheers, roger
I would need to get to shore and drain it, no way this kayak could ever self bail, the hull would immediately fill with water

Which is why I only fish ponds and smaller lakes, and I don't stay when the wind hits 10+

S
Snopro
NKlamerus said:
I would need to get to shore and drain it, no way this kayak could ever self bail, the hull would immediately fill with water
What model sit on top is it? The hull shouldn't fill with water if you capsized.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Snopro said:
What model sit on top is it? The hull shouldn't fill with water if you capsized.
A clapped out Ascend 12t that the previous owner stored in the sun

Deck is pretty warped

Water will immediately fill the hull through the flip open center hatch that's not water tight, and the 6" screw style transom access

bass
bass
FYI, you might be able to make those hatches watertight with a combination of Goop (if leaking where hatch attaches to hull) or by adding some weather stripping and/or marine grease on the hatch doors. I used some weather stripping for a car door to make a hatch watertight in the past.

Your hull may be too warped for these solutions but if they work then you are in a safer situation.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
FYI, you might be able to make those hatches watertight with a combination of Goop (if leaking where hatch attaches to hull) or by adding some weather stripping and/or marine grease on the hatch doors. I used some weather stripping for a car door to make a hatch watertight in the past.

Your hull may be too warped for these solutions but if they work then you are in a safer situation.
I've tried the weatherstripping and 3m 5200 on some of it

Only to find out the rod holders drain into the hull! Lol

I'm not too worried about it, I only fish smaller bodies of water, keep everything tethered, and keep everything simple

The rods are just about the only thing that won't float, and they are tied if they are behind me

I'd have some time with the submerged yak, it does have some foam in it

This definitely isn't the sketchiest rig I've been on, we pushed the limits much further in florida

bass
bass
I figured you had tried most of what I was suggesting but I would have felt bad if I did not suggest it and it could have helped.

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
I figured you had tried most of what I was suggesting but I would have felt bad if I did not suggest it and it could have helped.
Always open to suggestions [emoji106]

Luckily I work at a hardware store, so most of my little projects I can get at employee cost

Reactions: bass