Kayak bass fishing near Monmouth

G
Georgia Boy
Well, I'm brand new to the OFF. I live in Monmouth and just picked up a well rigged Hobie PA 14 from a dude up in Washington this past weekend. Yak, trailer, trolling motor set up, down rigger (yes first I've seen on a yak) locator with side imaging (probably take me til the end of the year to figure out how to operate it). I'm from Georgia originally and then spent several years in Wisconsin. I love fishing, mostly Large mouth and Small mouth, but especially small mouth. I'm looking for a pond/lake to try this thing out this weekend but I moved to Monmouth about 7 months ago and I have no clue. I don't really want to hit the rivers yet as I've never fished from a yak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm jonesing to wet a hook. Thanks

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
welcome to OFF, I can't help you much on the bass fishing, I stick with saltwater fish and crab now, but with a downrigger you are set-up to take advantage of the kokanee fishing, Green Peter and Odell. Wind can whip those lakes up into white caps real quick, so get used to your yak a bit before hitting the big lakes. If you haven't found the NWKA forum yet, you might want to give it a look. Hobie forum is excellent resource also, I have the same user name on all three forums. what year is your PA14? cheers, roger

G
Georgia Boy
Roger Thanks. Yeah, I have a lot to learn yet concerning the salmon and trout tricks. But I love to fish, really not to particular about species but I have a ton of tackle for Bass so sounds like a good starting point. I have looked at the NWKA forum a little. But it looked like there were mostly Kayak fishermen that do a lot of salt water like yourself. I would be more than a little nervous at this point to take my skinny butt out on the ocean in a kayak. My PA 14 is a 2016 but it has the 180 Mirage drive with reverse and it appears to be set up pretty nicely. I am really itching to try it out this weekend so I'm hoping someone chimes in on some lakes or ponds near Monmouth. The internet hasn't been that helpful. Thanks again for the response. Kirby

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the coastal lakes get planted with loads of trout between Feb and May, you can check the ODFW schedule, by June they stop, the lakes start warming up and the trout are mostly caught up by the end of June. In the Florence area, the ones that really get loaded are Cleawox (larger and shallower lake), Munsel (smaller and deeper). Siltcoos does not get planted much anymore, it is managed as a coho fishery in the fall. I do all my tinyboat testing and self rescue practice at Munsel, a beautiful little lake that usually has Osprey and Bald Eagles around, great lake.
(FYI- I had a 2012 PA2 and 2012 Oasis, sold them. Still have my 2016 i11s but my main ride now is a 2019 Outback)

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF @Georgia Boy. Glad to have ya.

At least 2 state record smallies have come out of Henry Hagg Lake. It's an hour NNW of Monmouth. Just NW of the small villa of Gaston. I was just there last Saturday, trolling for trout. It's one of my favorite lakes. I've fished it for about 8 of the last 10 or 11 years. And had never seen nasty white caps; until last Saturday. But it was calm when we put in at 7:30. It was about 10:00 when the wind whipped up.

The next closest lake that comes to mind, is Detroit Reservoir. Which is about and hour and fifteen from Monmouth. To the east of Salem, and on past Stayton on Hwy. 22. While it has no bass; it is home to rainbow trout and kokanee.

If I think of any other places, I'll let you know. Happy trails and tight lines, TD.

P.S. Use the search function in the upper right hand corner...and look at the reports of fellow OFFer "Bass" (@bass ). He's a kayaker extraordinaire, like Roger, and has fished Hagg a LOT! In fact hit him up, via PM, I believe that he told me that he head up there this Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogerdodger
P
pinstriper
I would suggest spending some time learning to manage the boat and not trying to fish, and as Roger mentioned practice self rescue.

You know you need OR boat registration on it since you have a trolling motor. Pull the motor and all you need is the invasive species fee.

If the downrigger has a steel cable, pull it off and respool with braid you can quickly cut.

As far as bass water down that way I am not much help. There are parts of the willamette that have loads of bass. I don’t know those places, but I do know there are lots of places that shallow up to under a foot deep, and the water rushes through real good. You get too close to a riffle like that and you have a one way trip on your hands and need to know a take out spot and get someone to ferry you back. You kayak makes a nifty drift boat that way.

If you are game for a short drive, put in on the Yamhill river at Dayton. Very bassy water. I dont know how fast it is running right now but it slows up in the summer and is bass heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude and rogerdodger
P
pinstriper
I don’t know if there is any bass in it, but Silverton has a lake/reservoir that is dandy for kayaks and is stocked with trout. I am not sure whether motors are allowed on it, but you can always leave the motor home, you wont need it there. Not too far from Monmouth.

If you do put in on a river, the general rule would be go upstream from the launch site. That way if it gets too shallow or the current is too fast or you get tired, the river is helping you get home.

Do please not go out alone unless and until you have some skills. And even then I don’t kayak alone (well I have at Hagg but its hard to be alone there).

P
playhooky
Silverton Reservoir is a great place for a kayak. Pinstriper mentioned motors ..... No motors allowed on this water body but you will find both Bass and Bows there. Also, if you’re in the Silverton area, you might want to check out Petit Lake which is a sweet little pool near The Oregon Gardens that holds some “Chunky” LM. Yes, you can put a kayak on it. Go to the side opposite the dike (approach quietly) and with the right OFFering you’ll likely get some response. Cheers!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
You know you need OR boat registration on it since you have a trolling motor. Pull the motor and all you need is the invasive species fee.

If the downrigger has a steel cable, pull it off and respool with braid you can quickly cut.

excellent points, the guys up in Washington get to use electric motors without registering but in Oregon, you need to register it and put ID numbers on the hull. I don't agree with it but that's the deal and they will ticket you.

I use 80# braid on my downriggers, much quieter than the steel cable and easy to cut in an emergency.

cheers, roger

G
Georgia Boy
rogerdodger said:
the coastal lakes get planted with loads of trout between Feb and May, you can check the ODFW schedule, by June they stop, the lakes start warming up and the trout are mostly caught up by the end of June. In the Florence area, the ones that really get loaded are Cleawox (larger and shallower lake), Munsel (smaller and deeper). Siltcoos does not get planted much anymore, it is managed as a coho fishery in the fall. I do all my tinyboat testing and self rescue practice at Munsel, a beautiful little lake that usually has Osprey and Bald Eagles around, great lake.
(FYI- I had a 2012 PA2 and 2012 Oasis, sold them. Still have my 2016 i11s but my main ride now is a 2019 Outback)
Roger, Understood. I lived in Lincoln City for about 2 years before we bought the home in Monmouth. So I did fish Cevils Lake several times from the docks. I happened to be on a dock near the launch when they dumped a truck load of trout. The Ooubacks are nice rigs.

G
Georgia Boy
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF @Georgia Boy. Glad to have ya.

At least 2 state record smallies have come out of Henry Hagg Lake. It's an hour NNW of Monmouth. Just NW of the small villa of Gaston. I was just there last Saturday, trolling for trout. It's one of my favorite lakes. I've fished it for about 8 of the last 10 or 11 years. And had never seen nasty white caps; until last Saturday. But it was calm when we put in at 7:30. It was about 10:00 when the wind whipped up.

The next closest lake that comes to mind, is Detroit Reservoir. Which is about and hour and fifteen from Monmouth. To the east of Salem, and on past Stayton on Hwy. 22. While it has no bass; it is home to rainbow trout and kokanee.

If I think of any other places, I'll let you know. Happy trails and tight lines, TD.

P.S. Use the search function in the upper right hand corner...and look at the reports of fellow OFFer "Bass" (@bass ). He's a kayaker extraordinaire, like Roger, and has fished Hagg a LOT! In fact hit him up, via PM, I believe that he told me that he head up there this Saturday.
TD, Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. Hagg sounds great but I might try to find a smaller lake so that I can get used to the PA and figure out how everything functions. Hagg is definitely on the list after a few trips out to get my comfort level where it should be.

Reactions: troutdude
G
Georgia Boy
pinstriper said:
I would suggest spending some time learning to manage the boat and not trying to fish, and as Roger mentioned practice self rescue.

As far as bass water down that way I am not much help. There are parts of the willamette that have loads of bass. I don’t know those places, but I do know there are lots of places that shallow up to under a foot deep, and the water rushes through real good. You get too close to a riffle like that and you have a one way trip on your hands and need to know a take out spot and get someone to ferry you back. You kayak makes a nifty drift boat that way.

If you are game for a short drive, put in on the Yamhill river at Dayton. Very bassy water. I dont know how fast it is running right now but it slows up in the summer and is bass heaven.
Pinstriper, Great advice and absolutely my plan. I just figure why not take a rod or two and a small tackle supply out with me as well as learn a little about the lake while I'm learning the yak. The downrigger is spooled up with braid. Not sure how old it is so I will most likely re-spool it. Yamhill sounds great once I'm comfortable with the PA. Thank you for the advice.

G
Georgia Boy
playhooky said:
Silverton Reservoir is a great place for a kayak. Pinstriper mentioned motors ..... No motors allowed on this water body but you will find both Bass and Bows there. Also, if you’re in the Silverton area, you might want to check out Petit Lake which is a sweet little pool near The Oregon Gardens that holds some “Chunky” LM. Yes, you can put a kayak on it. Go to the side opposite the dike (approach quietly) and with the right OFFering you’ll likely get some response. Cheers!
Playhooky, Thanks for the tips. Both of these sound like they may be a good target for figuring out the PA and some self rescue practice. I have one of the straps that Hobie sells for re-entry so I'll study it a bit before heading out.

G
Georgia Boy
rogerdodger said:
excellent points, the guys up in Washington get to use electric motors without registering but in Oregon, you need to register it and put ID numbers on the hull. I don't agree with it but that's the deal and they will ticket you.

I use 80# braid on my downriggers, much quieter than the steel cable and easy to cut in an emergency.

cheers, roger
Roger, I think hull ID is required in Washington as well with the trolling motor. The yak has the Washington registration and hull numbers on it now. So I will have to get it registered here before I use the trolling motor. I will be going on line to purchase invasive species permit. Thanks for the tip on the braid.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Georgia Boy said:
Roger, I think hull ID is required in Washington as well with the trolling motor. The yak has the Washington registration and hull numbers on it now. So I will have to get it registered here before I use the trolling motor. I will be going on line to purchase invasive species permit. Thanks for the tip on the braid.
Note- the invasive species permit is included with your registration for that boat. unless you need the permit to use in other non-motorized boats, you can save that cost, if not this year, but in future years.

Figured out the WA deal, it depends if you are going to use it on 'Federal Waters'. I think that means inland lakes and rivers- no reg. Puget Sound- yes reg.
---------------
To navigate, operate, employ, or moor your vessel in Washington, you must have a title from the Washington State Department of Licensing, a registration card, and registration decals, unless your vessel is:

• A canoe, kayak, or not propelled by a motor or sail.
  • Less than 16 feet in length and has a motor of 10 horsepower or less and is used on non-federal waters only.
  • Is properly registered by a resident of another state or country who uses Washington waters for
    60 days or fewer.
----------------

G
Georgia Boy
Roger, Thanks that will save a few bucks.

P
pinstriper
Georgia Boy said:
Pinstriper, Great advice and absolutely my plan. I just figure why not take a rod or two and a small tackle supply out with me as well as learn a little about the lake while I'm learning the yak. The downrigger is spooled up with braid. Not sure how old it is so I will most likely re-spool it. Yamhill sounds great once I'm comfortable with the PA. Thank you for the advice.

Most self rescue practice starts with trying to flip you kayak over while you are in it. You don’t want all your gear with you that day. DAMHIK

It is actually important to do it at way, so you get an idea of just how stable the boat is. With the PA you will have to work at it!

When you want to run up to Hagg let me know and I will meet you.

G
Georgia Boy
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. But my wife will be on the bank reading her nook and making sure I don't do anything ridiculous while I practice. As far as contacting you when I get out to Hagg, I absolutely will and I look forward to it. Thanks for all the great advice.