Kastmaster

N
nimzrock
Greetings all, I am having a great time here on my newest obsession (off) .
I hear a lot of you talk about using kastmasters and I would like to try them out. After looking at them on line I am wondered if thier sold in state. Would they work behind my toon while rowing or should I just cast & reel until I get a motor? :think:
Thanx again for making me feel welcome
Tight lines to all - Nimz :cool:

18406ej
18406ej
Nimzrock,

Welcome to OFF, glad you are enjoying yourself. I don't know much about trolling, but yes, KastMasters are available in all sizes and colors at Bi-Mart or other sporting stores. I personally favor the 1/8 oz blue/silver as my "go to" lure, but there are other variations/sizes that work well also.

Welcome again,

O
osmosis
they were going for .88 cents on cabelas the other day!
You can cast and retrieve, troll them, or vertically jig them from your 'toon.
I like to cast out and twitch them on the retrieve.
I like the plain gold ones the best.

T
The Nothing
i'm a fan of kastmasters. If they had a range from 2-4oz I'd probably have a couple. Like Osmosis says you can fish them pretty much how you please. Last year (my first year fishing since a kid) Kastmasters were some of the first lures I bought. I couldn't keep them off my hook at Canby with just a cast and retrieve, my wife lost one of the Hagg Lake Monsters at the back of the rental boats while trolling, and I watched a bass think about one while jigging off a dock. So, there you have it, all types. They have a very unique fall to them.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Glad you stopped by...I see by your location that your in Donald; where about is that?
As far as Kastmasters go I have quite a collection, at least a couple of each in most sizes and color combination's. I caught my largest Steel Head with a 1/4oz Gold w/orange half stripe on the face, while fishing for Trout on the McKenzie River. Quite the heart throber to say the least. Like what was said above, Jig,Cast,Troll and Cast...I know I said Cast twice but that is my method of choice. Again welcome to the site and we really do love pictures with our post :clap::dance:

Chuck

T
trollin4trout
When trolling by rowing I myself would not use one- I think they have a much better action when trolled quickly- which is hard to do in a toon or any other rowing machine. I choose lures like flatfish and hotshots/plugs, roostertails/spinners, flies, or bait while rowing.

Not saying Kastmaster is not a good lure- it's actually excellent, with the right place and method.

If anyone has any experience catching fish at a slow row with a Kastmaster- I would like to hear about it. It just doesn't look right in the water at a slow speed to me- maybe the fish don't care?

Jim

M
mikeredding
I have used them used them years ago with no success after several attempts and have ever touched one since. I will have to admit whenever I hear somebody going on and on about Kastmaster I just chuckle and shake my head. Yeah right, they don't even work, I tell myself. Maybe it's because I spent most of my life in Oakridge and those fish are different!?

For me the only thing they were good for was casting. Those things will fly a mile!!

I guess I need to try them again. They seem to work for everyone in the Valley.

T
tnffishman
i have fished kastmasters myself with limited success. I have only caught 2 trout on them.1 at the coast and 1 at clear lake:confused:

B
bassman503
Kastmasters are killers at west salish and benson lake.:D

C
chrishophoto
trollin4trout said:
When trolling by rowing I myself would not use one- I think they have a much better action when trolled quickly- which is hard to do in a toon or any other rowing machine. I choose lures like flatfish and hotshots/plugs, roostertails/spinners, flies, or bait while rowing.

Not saying Kastmaster is not a good lure- it's actually excellent, with the right place and method.

If anyone has any experience catching fish at a slow row with a Kastmaster- I would like to hear about it. It just doesn't look right in the water at a slow speed to me- maybe the fish don't care?

Jim

Kastmasters are my go to lure, and I troll with them from my canoe all the time with good results! When fishing for trout, I rarely use anything else anymore.

O
OneMore
Kastmasters are one of my favorite lure. They will catch fish and lots of them. Brown trout love them, stockers love them, brooders love them, even steelhead smallmouth and kokes. They will work great casted, trolled, jigged, or a combination of above. I would even think they would work better with a rowing troll as it would very their speed triggering stikes. I can't even imagine someone saying they dont work as I can not recal a skunk while dedicating my day to fishing with them. Oh yeah they cast amazing! My vote for Kastmaters fish them any way and be ready to set the hook!

W
wormosa
i too have had limited success with kastmaster, i have bought a lot of the colors and i have only caught 1 trout at olallie with them, i have tried at hagg ( granted not long) i just have not found my groove with them yet, i will keep trying though

T
Troutier Bassier
Bass Pikeminnow and Suckerfish also love Kastmasters..

S
solution7
Love Kastmasters caught a 27 inch brooder trout this last saturday with a gold one which also happens to be my favorite color for Kastmaster..

T
Troutier Bassier
32 inch brooder with small gold kastmaster.

S
solution7
Troutier Bassier said:
32 inch brooder with small gold kastmaster.

Thats HUGE wow .. They love those Kastmasters in Gold for sure

T
Troutier Bassier
They Probally look like Shiners or some bait fish like that.
Trout eat trout minnows.. I know that fer sure.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
They Probally look like Shiners or some bait fish like that.
Trout eat trout minnows.. I know that fer sure.

Trout just like to eat anything that smells or is shiny! :lol:

W
wormosa
i do like the idea about kastmasters and taking off the hook and throwing more line and another hook on, i will try this method, i am betting this will knock'em hard.... c'mon march 10th at hagg lol

Troutski
Troutski
Kastmasters...

Kastmasters...

The State of Oregon just made this lure even better for Lake anglers...one can have a nightcrawler drifting in the wind over a deep hole and see a rising Trout on the other side of the boat :dance: pick up the Spinning rod with the Kastmaster attached and never skip a beat. The new second rod thing is starting to look really good, at least that's my opinion. My favorite is the 1/4 oz. Gold with some custom art work using florescent tape. Tight lines

Chuck