Kastmaster?

F
FullMTLjacket
:think: I herd kastmasters work great for hagg lake, so i just picked up some. I got size 1/12 oz silver/green and planned on using a 4 lb test line....is this a good set up? also, when is the best time to use the kastmasters, does anyone use anything else with them (power bait, eggs....etc...?)thanks for the help!

L
Left Bank
I'm not an expert but I use Kastmasters often and have had success with them at Hagg. I typically use the same silver/green but also have used others. I tend to go with a 1/8 size.
Good luck. Maybe I'll see you up there sometime.

F
FullMTLjacket
Yeah I was thinking about maybe using something a little bigger like the 1/8 oz. size.
It would be cool to run into someone from OFF. If I see a red float I might just yell out "LEFT BANK!" so stay on your toes! lol

M
michigan_transplant
i was told by a guy that the first 3-5 days the fish get in a lake they get pretty aggressive and go nuts for the kastmasters, after that they start to look more towards powerbait. when the fish first got in EE Wilson this year i would go up there with Kastmasters and would outperform people using powerbait. then the bite went off and i switched to powerbait. i only go back to kastmasters if the fish have been recently stocked.

oh yeah and i use an all silver or a silver and blue 1/8oz

Troutski
Troutski
Worthless

Worthless

This lure is worthless, put them in a postage paid package and mail them to me...I will take care of them for you ;);):D. Don't waste your time .....:rolleyes: just send them to me. :D

I prefer the 1/4oz. for the water I fish...Gold w/red stripe dynamite. From Salmon, Steelhead and Trout of all species this lure along with the SuperDuper have stood the test of time.

Chuck

M
Matt G
Kastmasters amaze me. A dang slice of bare metal, and fish often love 'em.

Quick story: I'm pretty new to trout & didn't have much in my tackle box last August up at Clear Lake on the McKenzie. I'm in a float tube during the evening bite, fish literally popping up to grab bugs off the surface everywhere around me. Rooster Tail strikes out, power bait strikes out, salmon eggs get nothing. Just before sundown I find my old, OLD silver Kastmaster with a slightly rusted hook and figure, 'what the hey' so I tie it on. In 10 minutes I had 3 hard strikes, none of which hooked because the hooks were so dull. Back at camp I pull out an old hook file and sharpen the points up, hit the water first thing the next morning and hook a nice little 9" native Rainbow. I nicknamed him "Brunch" ;)

Oh, and I just bought a new silver/blue Kastmaster :D

T
Throbbit _Shane
tonight i caught about half the trout on a gold kastmaster. rest came on spinners and 1 on powerbait. i found letting it fall all the way to the bottom then jerking it back worked :)

L
Left Bank
I agree with Matt. The thought that a slim metal shiny thing that wiggles can atract fish the way it does but I'm glad!!! This can be used in so many ways: trolling, like a jig or retrieving it like a spinner.

troutdude
troutdude
Matt G said:
Kastmasters amaze me. A dang slice of bare metal, and fish often love 'em.

Quick story: I'm pretty new to trout & didn't have much in my tackle box last August up at Clear Lake on the McKenzie. I'm in a float tube during the evening bite, fish literally popping up to grab bugs off the surface everywhere around me. Rooster Tail strikes out, power bait strikes out, salmon eggs get nothing. Just before sundown I find my old, OLD silver Kastmaster with a slightly rusted hook and figure, 'what the hey' so I tie it on. In 10 minutes I had 3 hard strikes, none of which hooked because the hooks were so dull. Back at camp I pull out an old hook file and sharpen the points up, hit the water first thing the next morning and hook a nice little 9" native Rainbow. I nicknamed him "Brunch" ;)

Oh, and I just bought a new silver/blue Kastmaster :D

But the real question still remains: did you and "brunch" enjoy "breakfast" together??? LOL

I Always, always, always have at least 3 or 4 Kastmasters with me at all times. Simply put, they have caught hundreds of trout! How can you go wrong with something that works?

P.S. I like what Michigan Xplant had to say about the "timing". You just may be on to something with that approach. I think that I have noticed the same thing.

F
FullMTLjacket
Thanks for all the input, I seriously can't wait to get back on the water!

troutdude
troutdude
Glad we have helped. Good luck!

M
Mattco26
Go big

Go big

The 1/4 oz Kastmasters are good, but I've found that I get bites from larger fish using the 3/8 oz ones. I use 10lb power pro and I can cast them a mile, it seems to bring the big fish in from deeper water. Your mileage may vary but its always worked for me, I use the nickel or the nickel/orange.

T
The Nothing
Agreed. I tend to prefer the 1/4 or 3/8oz kastmasters as well. I have one that's smaller than 1/4oz but i'm not even sure its ever been tied on.

FWIW, I also have a 4oz Kastmaster that I'll be letting loose on the depths of the big blue on Mothers Day.

M
Matt G
troutdude said:
But the real question still remains: did you and "brunch" enjoy "breakfast" together??? LOL

Let's just say we got REAL close to one another. In fact, I feel like he's part of me. ;) :D

troutdude
troutdude
:lol::lol::lol::clap::clap::yay::yay::yay:

M
Matt G
Friday April 30 at Hagg, I was trolling 3 rods with my kids in the afternoon. 4-5 different lures, all got skunked except one: a silver/orange Kastmaster with nothing else on the line (except a barrel swivel 2' above the lure). We caught 5 Rainbows on that single lure in an hour, whereas none of the others got anything. The only other lure that even got hit (and only once) was a silver/blue Kastmaster being pulled behind a Ford Fender. I struck out flatfish, needle fish, & a hotshot. They just loved that Kastmaster

F
FullMTLjacket
Does anyone use some sort of bait of the end of the hook?

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. According to Luhr Jensen; Needlefish are one of the "go to" lure's for Hagg.

I wouldn't give up on them, if I were you. I'd try them every time, cuz I bet that they'll catch fish much of the time.

L
Left Bank
FullMTLjacket said:
Does anyone use some sort of bait of the end of the hook?

I've heard that placing bait on the hook can distort the action of a kastmaster so I've not tried. Anyone else tried this?

18406ej
18406ej
Left Bank, I have tipped my Kastmasters with bits of worm without affecting the action of the kastmaster. I have also had good luck applying a small bead of sticky scent along the length of the lure. Seems that the smell gives added attraction to the lure. Just be sure to reapply a bit of the scent every ten casts or so.