Want to fish for salmon and never have before

M
mthorp25
Hello all !! I want to start fishing for Salmon and Steelhead. The issue is I have no idea what i am doing because i havent ever fished for them before. I started bass and trout fishing a few weeks ago, but even that had been 15 years since i last cast a line in the water. I bought some tackle and two poles, and have been out a few times at Hagg lake, and my buddy and i went out on the Willamette a few weeks ago. We got 7 small mouths (but boy are they a pain to clean!)

So, when are the seasons for fishing Salmon\Steelhead? I live in Hillsboro, about 20 minutes west of downtown Portland. Where can i go that is in that general area to Salmon fish?

What about gear? Lets say i have $300 to get started, would that be enough to get me a rod, reel, and associated tackle to fish with?

How about strategy\tactics? When to fish, how deep, what to use, etc.

I appreciate any help that you guys can provide for me. I am learning (slowly) about the Oregon fishing scene, but Salmon and Steelhead are a whole new ball game, and I know next to nothing about how\what to do. I dream of reeling in a monster Salmon. Ive never caught one before, so id like to get one by the end of this year.

Also, I would be fishing from the bank because i dont have a boat.

Thanks guys and gals for any help !!!

K
Kage
Welcome to the forum and the pursuit for those prized fish here in the Pacific Northwest. I, myself, have been chasing them for almost 7 years now but only recently have I had more successful outings. I am by no means an expert as I've not caught either yet but I'm getting much much closer. Firstly make sure you have salmon/steelhead tags so you can fish for them. $300 is enough to get a nice rod and reel along with tackle to hook up some fish. You'll need something strong enough to handle either salmon or steelhead. I have one rod for both but right now am using my salmon rod in case I hook up a salmon. A good reel that feels nice and is good a smooth is a good start. Again you'll want one that can deal with the fight you'll have on your hands. There are different methods available to you so finding out which is most comfortable to you. I personally float fish or toss out spinners because of the simple setup for floating and spinners can get right in the strike zone if fished properly. I prefer a more active approach to fishing but there is also plunking in which you rig up a weighted line with a bait or lure that sits along the bottom until fish come along and bite. You'll get much better and less vague advice from others here but hopefully it won't take you as long as it's been for me to get some fish action. Good luck and see you out there.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Mthorp25, welcome to OFF!

First thing; Don't eat too many of those Smallies! If any! Toxins in the water. Salmon and Steelhead are ok because they don't live in the river full time. $300 is plenty for gear. Go to Fishermans or since your in Hillsboro go to Hoggs jo-mar on the west side of town and they can set you up. Right now Tanner has a special $125 for a full day on the Clack, think of it as a lesson. I live in the boro too and am headed over to the fishermans in OC tomorrow to pick up some gear, if your interested you can come with. I'm going there because I know one of the guys there and he knows just what I want.

EOBOY

P
pinstriper
Everything EOBOY said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to pick up a copy of the ODFW fishing regulations to carry with you so you don't find yourself in trouble with all the boundary changes.

E
espencer757
IMO, go on a guided outing first. It will cost about 2 hundred for a good guide, but we'll with it. You will see what they use, and how they use it. Some guides are happy to answer questions. You just have to choose when and where. Trolling the rivers, drifting a river. Not much chance of a guide doing bank fishing unless it is during a drift, but I am sure they will guide advice. Best of all, chances a better of catching something. Not guaranteed, but better. Another similar option is to pair up with someone from this forum who can show you the ropes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

M
mthorp25
EOBOY said:
Mthorp25, welcome to OFF!

First thing; Don't eat too many of those Smallies! If any! Toxins in the water. Salmon and Steelhead are ok because they don't live in the river full time. $300 is plenty for gear. Go to Fishermans or since your in Hillsboro go to Hoggs jo-mar on the west side of town and they can set you up. Right now Tanner has a special $125 for a full day on the Clack, think of it as a lesson. I live in the boro too and am headed over to the fishermans in OC tomorrow to pick up some gear, if your interested you can come with. I'm going there because I know one of the guys there and he knows just what I want.

Hey EOBOY! Thanks for the reply ! I appreciate your offer, but I will be working on Friday so i will not be able to join you.What is Tanner? Cause now you have me thinking id like to do a guided tour to learn from some people who already know what they are doing. I know we will be on a boat and probably trolling, but im sure they might have advice on bank fishing as well. Thanks for your input !

M
mthorp25
Also, you suggest not eating the trout or bass from the waters around here?

EOBOY
EOBOY
mthorp25 said:

Bass from the Willy and Columbia Are probably not something you want to eat a lot of, trout are ok, most are stockers. Bass from Hagg or ponds are OK. The John Day river or the Umpqua are OK for Bass to eat.

A Tanner.........LOL is [MENTION=14334]OnTheDrop[/MENTION] Look in the guide section on the forum, or as us that know and love him "low Dose"...........dang Tanner told you I'd get that in sometime.....LOL

P
pinstriper
mthorp25 said:

You really need to read the regulation book. It has a whole section on how much of what fish to not eat. As a new fisher to the state, you need to spend some quality time with the regs - it is like figuring out how to do your taxes, but they will hold you accountable for any mistakes, so read the book.

Also, there are lots of interesting things under the resources section of the ODFW. As hard as they make the regulations at times, they do provide a lot of help, especially for those new to fishing (me) and new to fishing in OR (you).

Tanner is The Man In The Hat.

E
espencer757
Oh, come own, I've been eating fish from the Willy and the Columbia most my life. Other than the eye twitch and the third arm growing out of my back, I'm just fine! [emoji12]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk