Just entered the spey game

S
Sage_Flyguy
Well literally 4hours ago I entered the Spey World. Went and bought a Echo DH2 7130 paired it with a sage 6010 running line shooting head etc.. Hopefully I can get the skunk off it relatively quick.

Although it feels a little strange having a giant blue reel. The last thing I needed to do was draw a bunch of attention to my terrible casting lol.

I plan on getting some spey casting lessons in the next week or so. South Santiam here I come.

Jer

W
waco
Enjoy!

Irishrover
Irishrover
It definitely is a fun way to fish. Just a day out on the river casting is a kick!

O
OnTheDrop
Irishrover said:
It definitely is a fun way to fish. Just a day out on the river casting is a kick!

Agreed.

Ive been doing some occasional swinging with a switch the past few weeks in between guiding. Tomorrow is a Spey day.

Good luck on the new venture,

G
I am also agreed!

S
Sage_Flyguy
I'm really glad I listened to the guy at the fly shop and took his recommendations, I had my eye on a couple different reels. The extra weight of the 6000 series reel makes a huge difference in just helping to keep the tip up. Had I've gone with my original plan I could see myself getting very fatigued with a full day on the water

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

S
Sage_Flyguy
5957882c52544c170718630e8acee83c.jpg

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yeah the two hander game has a couple quirks that don't seemingly make sense from a single hand fisher standpoing - ie heavy reels are better than light reels. Using a 200-400 grain line for trout rods or a 500+ grains for chasing steelhead on some rivers. Applying power with the bottom hand vs the top hand.

You have a good setup, should be a hoot. Now you just gotta add steel! Tight lines.

P
Paul Smith
Welcome to the game; I'm sure I'll run into you on the South as I fish it often, rarely ever see anyone else casting Spey.

S
Sage_Flyguy
Hey Paul,
Yes I sure we'll run into one another. Just the other day I was going over in my head places to swing on the South. I'll probably be breaking out the pontoon boat this year to get to more water that's better for swinging flies.

P
Paul Smith
I'd be willing to show a spot or two; send me a PM and we can plan. Should be starting real soon!

Reactions: Irishrover
Top Bottom