June OFF gathering: Wickiup/CranePrairie

B
BaldTexan
Check the regs everywhere you fish in Oregon. Crane Prairie hatchery rainbows are either adipose clipped or left ventricle fin clipped....or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
BaldTexan
Jlag said:
Looks like a native fish? Pretty sure you didn't release that one.....

No I did not. I ate it! 0383441e1c73199d6c14dbbac4f40cfc.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
BaldTexan said:
Check the regs everywhere you fish in Oregon. Crane Prairie hatchery rainbows are either adipose clipped or left ventricle fin clipped....or both.

I haven't found that yet, at least not in the e-regs. All I see is:

Hatchery fish: For the purpose of these regulations, a hatchery fish is defined as a salmon, steelhead or trout from which the adipose fin has been removed (clipped) leaving a healed scar. Also known as “adipose fin-clipped.”

P
playhooky
Jlag said:
It clearly has an adipose fin and is dead......

Oops! That musta been one O' them thar fillet & release feeshes !

B
BaldTexan
Well slap me nekkid and hide my clothes! It's not in the regs. Possibly a sign at one of the boat ramps that stated the hatchery fish are adipose fin clipped or left ventricle clipped. I just remember looking it up 2 years ago when half the rainbows we caught were missing the left ventricle fin.

B
BaldTexan
From the e-regs - "Wild Fish: For the purpose of these
regulations, a wild fish is a salmon, steelhead or trout with NO fin clips — adipose or OTHER."

hobster
hobster
^^^ I fished there last week and my buddy who has been fishing there since the 70's said the same thing. Look for the clipped ventricle, which I hadn't seen before in the waters I fish. You are correct BaldTexan, although you were wrong about the San Antonio Spurs :D
That fish is dead which I didn't notice, no wonder it is so ugly ;)

B
BaldTexan
hobster said:
^^^ I fished there last week and my buddy who has been fishing there since the 70's said the same thing. Look for the clipped ventricle, which I hadn't seen before in the waters I fish. You are correct BaldTexan, although you were wrong about the San Antonio Spurs :D
That fish is dead which I didn't notice, no wonder it is so ugly ;)

Yeah. If they would have had the oxygen at the bench for the grey haired geezers, it would have been a different story!

I can't deny that was an ugly fish....but you can ask my ex - on very very rare occasions I get to be right!

B
BaldTexan
Oh yeah. Our fish were checked at the ramp by the ODFW checker, cute one too, and she confirmed the left ventral clip.

hobster
hobster
Yeah, bummed the Spurs lost. OKC had their chance up 3-1 to GS but............choke.

Anyway, back to the thread. I have to finish a job Friday but am heading out afterwards, looks like I will be one of the last to arrive. Should be there in the late evening, and i'm sure everyone will be feeling pretty good by then:thumb: I will have my rods, small pontoon, food, tent, cooler of IPA and some tasty homegrown. Good luck fishing Friday!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
BaldTexan said:
From the e-regs - "Wild Fish: For the purpose of these
regulations, a wild fish is a salmon, steelhead or trout with NO fin clips — adipose or OTHER."

dam, I should have found that, 4 straight days up digging clams at 'oh-dark thirty' has slowed my brain. I'm glad you had it right and that the fish was tasty....:thumb:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
heads up, this sounds crazy after what I hear has been some hot weather somewhere, but the camp-out is looking chilly and perhaps wet at times...so basically coastal weather!

water temp higher than air temp, I might spend more time in the water and less in my boat...

Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
That's good camping and campfire weather! ...with added adult anti-freeze :)

No need to get out on the lake real early. From my experience there, the bite usually doesn't get real good until after 9:00 am but the sundown bite is pretty good[emoji106]

P
pinstriper
rogerdodger said:
I might spend more time in the water and less in my boat...

Only stands to reason, what with that Hobie inverted lightbulb hull shape.

P
playhooky
BaldTexan said:
Oh yeah. Our fish were checked at the ramp by the ODFW checker, cute one too, and she confirmed the left ventral clip.

M-m-m.....A couple of weeks ago I released 4 big Cranebows with an adipose. Didn't know know about checking for a missing left ventral (pelvic) fin as an alternate method of marking. But....I did not see any signage at any of the ramps indicating anything. And No....I'm not chapped about it cuz we put 7 nice fish in the cooler and had others that got around underwater stumps and had to bust em OFF. It's just nice to be informed. Thanks for the Intel.

B
billfisher
WooHooHoo! :thumb: The Weather is looking BETTER! :D

jhop111
jhop111
A brief report from the 5th to 10th.
Fishing is slow for most I spoke with. We averaged 4 or 5 a day with about as many we didn't get in. Top lines down to the bottom, all depths worked. 20ft to toplines produced best. Gold on overcast, silver when sunny. Had a hot topline bit from 4 to 5 pm braving the wind. Tuna corn, clown and tequila sunrise hoochies no further than 12 inches behind dodgers. The first 2 days we got 100% to the boat. I credit loose drags, limber poles and size 1 gammi dropshot hooks with the last hook 3 inches behind the skirts. I run 15lb fluro and you will still get bit or broke off from the hogs at times. A good brown hole a quarter mile up from gull point. Good luck

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Hobster and Troutmasta early on Sunday morning at Wickiup...

2wE0Ed5.jpg

Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
Gotta love the red waders!! Did he get those from Sammy Hagar?!

EOBOY
EOBOY
I had a great time guys, thanks for the memories. Bill and Hobs great to meet you guys, and Jeff, your friend Mitch was a great guy too, and what a good little pup he had. Roger looking forward to doing some drifting with you and Jeff.

Top Bottom