June OFF gathering: Wickiup/CranePrairie

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Happy New Year!

I would like to propose hosting an OFF fishing event at Gull Point Campground on the north shore of Wickiup Reservoir in early June. It has a boat launch and is walking distance to S. Twin Lake (planted with lots of trout in late May), close to the Deschutes arm that goes between Wickiup and Crane Prairie (which is just a short drive away) and it has 2 group sites (30 people max) that can be reserved. (it also has 75 single campsites, but no hookups)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/deschutes/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=38874&actid=33

https://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72093

We are planning to spend at least a week fishing/camping in the Crane Prairie/Wickiup area, so I proposing to reserve one of the group sites for a Friday and Saturday night (Sunday night also if enough folks wanted to head home Monday). As of this morning, both group sites are available for June 10-12 (they are both already booked for the later weekends in June). The site is $75 per night, I'm willing to cover the cost and collect a few bucks from folks to try and recover some of the cost.

So this area should have bank fishing, pontoon/kayak/powerboat fishing, and even fly fishing in close proximity, with mosquitoes being probably the only negative...

So who's in? I'll make the reservation once I get at least 10 people that think that weekend works and are mostly likely going to attend...cheers, roger

O
OnTheDrop
I am most likely in. We will see as time gets closer, but I should be able to work my schedule to open.

EOBOY
EOBOY
sounds good to me, count me in

EOBOY

B
billfisher
Put me down for all 3 days. I've been wanting to try for kokanee over there. And to do an OFF function.

EOBOY
EOBOY
X2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
billfisher said:
Put me down for all 3 days. I've been wanting to try for kokanee over there. And to do an OFF function.

great, I would like to have the group site from Friday (so folks driving over after work can arrive later) through Sunday night (so folks that need to leave Sunday can fish and pack-up/leave later while some of us spend the night and head back Monday)...

Last edited:
B
billfisher
:thumb:

T
troutmasta
I'm in.

hobster
hobster
Me too, sounds fun!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
alright, this is looking good, hoping to hear from a few more central Oregon OFF folks...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Wickiup is renowned for its brown trout over 20 pounds and normal catches in the 5 to 8 pound range. Many large brown trout are brought into Twin Lakes Resort to be weighed and photographed, but most people never see the largest fish they hook. Long distance releases are routine. Wickiup also has a reputation for good numbers of kokanee and coho salmon and decent populations of rainbow trout, brook trout, whitefish, and the unwanted chub.
The largest trout each year are usually caught the first two weeks of fishing season when the big browns are ravenous after a long winter under the ice. There are some true giants in here; a former state record brown trout from Wickiup weighed 24 pounds, 14 ounces. A brown trout caught opening day of 1998 weighed over 26 pounds. Larry Marecek of Salem caught the monster brown using a rainbow-colored Rapala.

Crane Prairie: Home of the famous “cranebows”, Crane Prairie Reservoir is also one of the top producing rainbow trout fisheries in Central Oregon. Rainbow trout here average 2 inches of growth a month during the summer. The record rainbow to date weighed over 19 pounds, with abundant rainbows in the 4 to 10 pound range. Crane Prairie Reservoir is a Wildlife Management Area. Osprey, bald eagle and many waterfowl frequent the area.

South Twin Lake: (1/4mile from campground) 2015 trout stocking: May 11: 3000 legals, May 18: 700 trophy.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Roger I can't sleep very well the night before I go fishing, now I won't be able to sleep for 5 months..... LOL

hobster
hobster
I have never fished either of those lakes (crazy, i know) and am looking forward to it. I've heard a lot about those browns!

L
Lurker
I'm in for sure and I'll likely +1 someone so I don't fall asleep during the drive.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger

the site is reserved, GP52, so this OFF gathering is a go.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Roger let us know what you need for reimbursement, if I pay up front I won't miss it for sure..., LOL

B
billfisher
Thank you Roger for setting this up. It should be a great weekend!

I'd like to reimburse you also.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I'm going to bring my tent trailer and my toon. I can sleep 2 others in my trailer first come first serve.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger

I was thinking that $5 per tent for each night folks are there should do it.

W
wils
I'm not set up for camping-out but I can do a couple round-trips. :)

Top Bottom