Junction City Pond Fishing

B
bassman87
What do y'all use for bait at Junction City Pond? I fished from 8am to 2pm today using worms, salmon eggs, an power bait dough color brown an didn't catch a thing.

T
TTFishon
I don't know what the stocking schedule is but it might be fished out. I haven't fished there in years but when I did I did well using a slip bobber (the clear kind that you fill with water) with a long leader and a black wooly bugger with a small red tail. I also did well using Thomas spoons of various colors.

troutdude
troutdude

If you wish to toss bait, get rid of Power Bait and instead get the Power Eggs (maybe called Magnum Eggs, by Berkley). Then use single size 6 egg hooks. Put on 3 eggs, and you'll probably use the same eggs all day long! It's much cheaper on your bait pocket book, equally as effective, and there's no bait all over your hands!

And welcome to OFF!

S
steelheadstalker31
What trout dude said is solid advice, my personal favorite pond pellet head killer is Gulp eggs in Chartreuse, 3 at a time, dipped in kick n trout= many limits

R
Rain
Junction City Pond

I don't fish at this pond but I have some suggestions. I would try different colors or sents. Try lengthening or shortening your leader. Might try a bobber with sinking bait or a sliding weight with floating bait. If you are willing try something other than bait, i'd suggest 1/8 oz kastmaster lures, 1/8 oz spinners (roosters tail, panter martin, blue fox) or other spinners/lures of about that weight or size.

I imagine it was busy there on a fair weathered Sunday. Were other people catching fish? If nobody was catching fish really, then its possible it was too crowded. I think at small ponds, if they get too much fishing pressure, the fish stop biting (this is my opinion; not fact)

B
bassman87
Thanks everyone. An yea their were quite a few ppl out their, quite a few of them were reeling em in. i tried to get my own spot away from everyone else an went around to the back of the pond. didn't have any bites. Thanks Troutdude, ill try em out possibly next sunday.

W
willfishforfood
If the fish are active, I have had good luck with rooster tails and blue fox spinners. If its slow I usually throw an unweighted bundle of worms with craw/anise scent. Depends if the bite is on. I've had more than a couple fishless days there. I can't bring myself to use power bait.

P
Panfishmaster
You can check the ODFW page, they have the stocking schedule posted under the main "fishing" tab. They stocked it on Feb. 25th. The next time they will stock it is the week of March 11th. They don't tell you which specific day they will be there. The problem with Junction City Pond is that a lot of people watch for the stocking truck to back up to the pond and then it is like "combat" fishing just to find a space on the bank to throw out a line. It is usually fished out within the next 5-6 days, then nothing!

I know this is only my own opinion, but, there's not much sport in that. If you go, I would suggest getting out there just as early as you possibly can. When there are fish, the PowerBait should work just fine. I, too, might take Troutdude's advise and try the Power Eggs.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the board.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Looks like the first trout stocking on the schedule for Junction City pond is this week.
Anyone know what day they stock?
I'd like to go do a little diddling around the pond but not if there is no fish in it.

D
dcarbonari
I haven't done this in a long time but what I used to do is contact ODFW and ask them because they will have the more detailed stocking schedule as far as which day specifically they are stocking. If you want to go the day of from my experience they usually hit the ponds to stock them around 12-1. (around 80% of the times I've showed up for right when they stocked its been around that time) If you want some fun trout fishing I'd suggest trying to do this. About 5-10 minutes after they leave the truck the bite is almost instant. Last time I did this at St. Louis Ponds I got around 75 fish in an hour.

However, I have not done this since they changed things a little while ago. I'd still give it a try though. Here is their main phone # (503) 947-6000 or (800) 720-6339 hopefully you can get the info you're looking for. Have fun out there.

troutdude
troutdude
Great advice. But they NEVER guaranteed me a specific date, nor time. And I called them OFTEN, to check their confirmation line (or to speak personally with their employees).

Also...now that much of their stocking is done, by private firms. Their confirmation line, is no longer in service.

So now it's really anybody's guess as to which dates, stockings actually occur.

Reactions: plumbertom
Q
qwapaw
It used to be on Tuesdays about noon or 1:00PM, but since the new guy started stocking it I haven't got a good feeling for it. Seems like when ever their truck is coming this way. They sure made they pond nice this year. I won't loose my Explorer in the pot holes any more. Good luck Tom. Dan

plumbertom
plumbertom
That parking area sure needed some maintenance.
Of course my 4x4 Ram didn't car at all how rough it got.
Maybe i'll take a run to the Pond in little while.
The worst that could happen is I'll spend some time in the open before the rain tomorrow.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Turns out the stocking schedule in the OFDW site is useless for the most part.
The private contractors That are now supplying JC Pond seem to just deliver fish whenever they are in the mood.
They delivered last week, not scheduled, and again this week, as scheduled.
Apparently this weeks delivery was on Monday morning around 9 AM.
They did however put in some nice sized fish.
I saw a 18'' and what I'd estimate to be a 24'' fish caught yesterday just after noon.
Several smaller fish were also landed while I was there. Most were being taken on flies and spoons/spinners.