Marine Newport Fishing Reports

Irishrover
Irishrover
Was a beautiful day on the ocean. No wind flat and calm. Landed some non clipped coho and some clipped, but the surprise for the day was an awesome chinook. My first mate hooked and landed a nice chinook and she was thrilled as was I. Pink hoochie at 35 on the line counter.

• IMG_0513.JPG
  • Wow
Reactions: Aervax, Raincatcher, Admin and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
Most excellent! Great pic, great fish, great day!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks we are headed back out in the morning, In the afternoon the winds pick up and last all weekend so we will take an early morning shot at it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great day all around, love it!

Z
Zouavecat
Beautiful fish and a beautiful day! I fish the Great Lakes in Michigan and our season is heating up. Are Chinook a rarity to catch there?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
you guys did real good getting into that many fish, the ocean salmon catch rates all along the OR coast dropped way OFF since early/mid-July, here is the latest data for Depoe Bay and Winchester Bay, same trend, Newport has been a bit better:

tXqmnx7.jpg

with the ocean settling down very nicely towards the end next week, it sure would be nice to hear that this trend reverse. grin.gif

only upside, no shortage of coho quota as of now (58K left to catch with 3 weeks left in the 'selective coho' season), hopefully some will roll over into the 'any coho' season that starts Aug31.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Would you believe she did it again. She caught another chinook just a bit farther out than yesterday. She is kicking my but and landing some nice fish. Pink hoochie at 35 on the line counter, right out of Newport in 185 fow. Looks like the wind is picking up tomorrow and through the weekend.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Zouavecat said:
Beautiful fish and a beautiful day! I fish the Great Lakes in Michigan and our season is heating up. Are Chinook a rarity to catch there?

No chinook are not rare but generally you fish for them with a slightly different method. Off the Oregon coast we tend to troll slower and deeper for chinook than we do for coho. This time of year we enjoy targeting coho which tend to run near the surface and like a faster trolling speed. So when a chinook hits a fast trolled hoochie in the upper levels of the water column it is a surprise. A lot of folks who target chinook run down riggers with lines down to 180'.

Roger we have the luck of the Irish going for us. With the catch rate as they are the quota should hold and as you mention there might be some added to the non select season.

Reactions: Aervax and rogerdodger
G
Gulfstream
NICE!

hobster
hobster
Right on, that is awesome!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Irishrover said:
Would you believe she did it again. She caught another chinook just a bit farther out than yesterday. She is kicking my but and landing some nice fish. Pink hoochie at 35 on the line counter, right out of Newport in 185 fow. Looks like the wind is picking up tomorrow and through the weekend.

NIce fish!

I got a last minute invite to go Saturday, hoping the forecast would be delayed enough to get some fishing in. Our gamble didn't work out, came back across the bar at 11am. First time for a bar crossing for me. Looking forward to trying it again.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Another flat ocean day. Made a nearshore halibut trip but called it off at noon after three hours of no action. Switched to salmon and landed six, to clipped and four non clipped.

Top Bottom