Jordon Cove denied DEQ water quality permit.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
absolutely fantastic news.

In a letter Monday . . . the agency said “DEQ does not have a reasonable assurance that the construction and authorization of the project will comply with applicable Oregon water quality standards.”
Specific concerns included impacts on water quality from construction and operation of the Pacific Connector pipeline. The 36-inch diameter pipe would affect more than 352 bodies of water and traverse mountainous, landslide-prone areas in its 230-mile path from an interstate gas hub in Klamath County to the proposed export terminal in Coos Bay. It would also need a 95-foot right of way across Southern Oregon, a massive path that would require clearcutting timber and building roads -- creating the potential for significant erosion. DEQ also raised concerns about the release of release of drilling materials from the crossing of the Coos Bay estuary.

Oregon DEQ denies Jordan Cove LNG water quality permit

Duckcross

I personally have mixed views on this, yes it could be harmful to the environment, but it could be a huge economic boost in a much needed area such as Coos Bay. I travel to the Coos Bay Charleston area quite a bit and have noticed the entire area is taking a hit something needs to change there.

Agreed Duckcross
THIS:
I personally have mixed views on this, yes it could be harmful to the environment, but it could be a huge economic boost in a much needed area such as Coos Bay. I travel to the Coos Bay Charleston area quite a bit and have noticed the entire area is taking a hit something needs to change there.
Between the logging downturn and less and less salmon this area has been hit hard..

I would like to believe that this project could be done environmentally friendly.

BB

Ozbornduck

Agreed Duckcross
THIS:

Between the logging downturn and less and less salmon this area has been hit hard..

I would like to believe that this project could be done environmentally friendly.

BB
You kinda have cross-purposed the issue, haven't you ? You say "less and less salmon"....yet you are okay with intrusion on 352 waterways ? Can't see the logic in that statement. Just gonna get more "less", if we allow this project to be done.
Yes, the economic argument is valid, but, for whose benefit ? The company, Pembina, is Canadian, the gas is not going to Oregonians (shipped to Asia, most likely), the economic boost is short-lived and limited to construction and LOTS of truck driving jobs....gone forever when the facility is completed. We're told fewer than 25 jobs, once the terminal is operational.... not much, in the grand scheme. Pembina claims $60 million in tax revenue for the area..... soooo... maybe $500 million in revenue for the foreign company ? And that "100+ acre riparian plot" is simply ludicrous, compared with the disturbance to the ecosystem over the total distance. Sure, SOME folks will benefit , most will see nothing but decline in our natural balance. As a member of the Rogue Riverkeeper group, we strive to be friends with the natural AND the man-made. This project does not meet anybody's grasp of that concept. Sorry to be so negative on my first post, but I feel many are being duped by short-sighted promises made by a company that owns "rights" to the resource, but needs to be a bit vague about the eventualities like... what's the plan when they deplete the gas resource ? Does Coos Bay get a TV episode of "Abandoned" ? Hope not.

My main point:
“I would like to believe that this project could be done environmentally friendly”

“cross-purposed”?
I don’t think so.

Wordy much?

Ozbornduck

Yes..... Yes I am "wordy"........., did it "confuse" the message ? " You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know"----(thanks, Robert Hunter ..RIP ). Do a Google Earth wandering -start to Coos Bay.....as an appreciate-of-the-natural landscape as-is, it's pretty much evident that crossing 352 waterways with a 36" pipeline....plus easements..... gonna be a gnarly swath halfway through the state. At the very least, let US HAVE SOME.... for reduced rates, if you choose to go the rationale way.
Here's to hoping we can all think like the people who were here long ago....kind of a "Hypocratic Oath" for the planet..... think SEVEN Generations forward. Want your progeny to be able to fish ?

Ozbornduck

Yes..... Yes I am "wordy"........., did it "confuse" the message ? " You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know"----(thanks, Robert Hunter ..RIP ). Do a Google Earth wandering -start to Coos Bay.....as an appreciate-of-the-natural landscape as-is, it's pretty much evident that crossing 352 waterways with a 36" pipeline....plus easements..... gonna be a gnarly swath halfway through the state. At the very least, let US HAVE SOME.... for reduced rates, if you choose to go the rationale way.
Here's to hoping we can all think like the people who were here long ago....kind of a "Hippocratic Oath" for the planet..... think SEVEN Generations forward. Want your progeny to be able to fish ?

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom