Jon boat for the Tualatin?

D
dub
Thinking about picking up a 12' or 14' jon boat to fish the Tualatin due to easy access. Both sizes are the same width I believe (36"). I'd prefer to not have to mess with a gas motor....so want to just put an electric motor on it. Currently thinking a 55lb thrust motor with dual batteries. Think that would be enough, even factoring in the very light current in the Tualatin in the summer months? What about getting up that one short, swift section by the pedestrian bridge just down from Cook?

P
pinstriper
That section is swift because it is shallow. So shallow that my kayak paddle was hitting bottom on every stroke, with the water in May. So 6-8" of water.

A jon boat would probably make it down through there, but not back. It's a one way trip through there.

D
dub
Yep....I've kayaked up it a few times. That said, not all over it to know if there is a deeper section or not. Sounds like, not. What's the footing like? Could you get out and pull the boat up/over it with the motor pulled in....or would it be a lost cause? Specifically looking at jon's to run it shallower (thinking about this section), plus dragging it up a bank.

P
pinstriper
That little riffle is gravel, you could certainly get good footing, but the question is whether you could hop back in and get moving before that fast current swings you downriver.

D
dub
Looks like I'm going on a field trip Saturday morning to do some recon.