Johnson Creek at Willamette?

T
Troutier Bassier
So This has Been Killing me for Months.
And Its a Childish Question, I know, But I Just HAVE To know.

Is there any Fish in Johnson Creeek?
Anywhere on the Johnson, From Gresham to the Willamette,

And where it gose into the Willy is there Any Fish around there? (i.e bass, catfish...)

Last edited by a moderator:
F
Fishtopher
For "other species in Oregon", there would be no fish in the creek. At the mouth is a different story. Lots of fish to be had down there. A few carp and alotta p-minnow and bass...you should do the salmon/steelhead population a favor and fish em outta there.

T
Troutier Bassier
I've gave the red meat population my life, (And a lot of Chicken liver, worms, shrimp, and small Baitholder hooks)

C
CrawfishPDX
i set a minnow trap and caught two small bullheads yesterday I have them alive and kickin it in my fish tank :D

B
beaverfan
You do realize that it's against the law to transport live fish. Keeping them in a tank is also illegal.

What do you need a minnow trap for anyways, in a state that doesn't allow live bait use.

Last edited:
R
Rascal
i was talking to some guys from the johnson creek watershed council and they said they sometimes get a few coho that run up the creek but please dont fish for them lol

C
CrawfishPDX
They make great bottom feeders for the fish tank :p They eat all the left over food my lobsters and and sharks dont eat :p

M
Moe
I have always tried to figure out the fish in there. For 5 years I only could catch guppies(minnow), but after hiking into a strech I had never been to, and a strech no one would venture into, I found some kind of four inch fish swimming against the current and hiding like trout. There were about 15 of them there, and I think they are salmon or steelhead smolt, but I don't want to take them out of the water to cause any stress on a possible small wild run of salmon there.

K
kornphlake
I really doubt that a bullhead catfish would make a good bottom feeder for any kind of community aquarium. There are other species that would be much more suitable and aren't illegal to keep. Any fish that is found in Oregon waters, rather native or introduced is illegal to keep in an aquarium in this state. Rather you should or shouldn't have an aquarium full of fish you've caught is your decision, but bragging about it in a public forum is not the brightest idea. You're making fishermen look bad and you're making aquarists look bad.

D
Drew9870
You have a Saltwater tank (lobsters and sharks)? With a Catfish? If so, a little research in fishkeeping is a great idea (actually, a lot of research), because Catfish have no scales, Salt burns their skin and they won't last long. I know a few people who like the idea of catch and keep captive, and I tell them they're idiots because Coldwater tanks are quite a bit different than a Tropical Setup, and they know nothing about Aquariums to begin with (obviously CrawfishPDX has an idea about Aquaria considering he has a Saltwater tank). A coldwater tank should be between about 55-68 degrees, and should fluctuate according to season especially if your fish is/was wild. I would never put a wild fish near my water since I don't want unwanted Algaes, Parasites, or Disease.

I own a 120 gallon tank home to a 17 inch Red Belly Pacu (7-8 years old) an Adult Jack Dempsey (had for 5 years), and a 4 inch Convict Cichlid. Had many others, like Tinfoil Barbs, Plecos, Cichlids, but the Pacu feeds on any sign of weakness (tails go first, even though they are the Vegetarian Pirahna in the wild).

I know, I get a little off track from threads sometimes.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
TB

Split shot and worm, bump bottom a few times, if its a shallow creek, go rock hopping and fish behind big rocks in the eddies they create. Only use enough shot to tap bottom a few times, not enough to catch bottom every time it dislodges. If you find a deeper calm spot, slide sinker rig it, 1/8oz with about a 14-18 inch leader 4lb or 6lb, 4lb allows for longer holds and more time to set the hook. Maxima and P-Line should be the only line you resort too, never use basic Trilene or Stren, too thick for the lb test rating, the knots dont hold worth a shi-poo, and they cast like crap.

T
the_intimidator03
sorry to intrude without information on the OP, But as far as the "lobsters and sharks" I believe its a fresh water set up. the shark is an irridecent shark(common name) i dont have the scientific name off the top of my head or other common names. the lobsters are either crayfish or a type of shrimp. which do survive freshwater as well

C
CrawfishPDX
You answered the riddle correctly :p Congratulations you won an applause :clap:

I
Ifishforfood
i believe has talking about the other 'bullhead' species- sculpin. they live in both salt, and freshwater. also crawfishpdx, do you set your traps in the columbia, and are they hommade? im almost positive that the ones i see around are yours!

K
Kais
I know you guys have gotten a little OFF topic, but there used to be tens of thousands of salmon and trout in the creek. the first settlers said you could walk across the creek on the salmons back! or you could catch them with the pitchforks!
Now the creek has e-coli and other toxins, plus the high temperatures made VERY FEW fish in the creek.:(:( it sucks because i live walking distance from the creek and used to take walk on the trail along the creek it sucks to know that i live so close to a creek that used to ocupy fish

Last edited:
Q
Quillspirit
I grew up near J Creek, and used to catch some nice trout behind Bell Station, and have a lot of fun catching crawdads at various holes all along the springwater trail... but now... well, I wouldn't eat anything out of the creek if you paid me... and it's dangerous with all the drugged out homeless people living in the bushes there. I've seen several bodies being carted out of Springwater trail crossings. Funny thing is, you hardly ever hear about it on the news when it happens.

As far as the mouth though... sure, fish it up :)

P
pdx89
Kais, is right.
and Yes, back in the day the creek was full of fish... all sorts of fish. mostly salmon/steelhead and trout. if i remember correctly i even read an article in The Oregonian or some other publication about the "old" J creek. Sad that people dont care about fish that much, plus urban developing is killing much of small creeks like Johnson Creek.