Johnny's first shot @ summer metal

J
Johnny Southpaw
Got a call from a friend late last night... he OFFered an open seat on his boat this morning on main Santiam. This will be my first outing for summer metal, and my nerves are already twitchin'! I've never fished for metal from a boat, and will be fishing with gear I'm not used to but I'm stoked nonetheless. I'll post later this evening with results.

F
FishFinger
Good luck.... We're pulling for ya!

P
PDXKush
GET SOME !!! Chrome that is !! Good luck.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Spent 8 hrs. on the water and did a lot of fishing but not much catching. Hooked into a few trout and some summer smolt. Conditions were ideal but perhaps a bit early to expect much action. Next time there will be metal, next time...

C
Commodore S
Johnny Southpaw said:
Got a call from a friend late last night... he OFFered an open seat on his boat this morning on main Santiam.

Did you float, or motor?, And what part of the river. Did ya try those coon shrimp?

P
PDXKush
CURED cOON SHRIMP ARE DEFINITELY WHAT I'LL BE USING ON STEELS THIS spring/ SUMMER

Last edited:
J
Johnny Southpaw
Commodore S said:
Did you float, or motor?, And what part of the river. Did ya try those coon shrimp?

We were in a big sled, did a lot of back-trolling with plugs and threw some spinners at a few locations as well. We launched at the Buena Vista Park boat ramp and went past the Interstate bridge almost to where the main river forks. We didn't try any coon shrimp-I'll have to suggest those to the captain next time...

K
Kodiak
HeHe mainstem!!!!

HeHe mainstem!!!!

That is about the toughest section to fish, to get decent fishing you need better numbers of fish... to bad you didn't make it to the forks...thats where most of the fish get hit on the mainstem.

J
Johnny Southpaw
Kodiak said:
That is about the toughest section to fish, to get decent fishing you need better numbers of fish... to bad you didn't make it to the forks...thats where most of the fish get hit on the mainstem.

Yeah, the 'captain' of the boat I was on doesn't know the river like you do Kodiak, and we fished several of his 'honey' holes to no avail although he has caught a few fish on that stretch already this year. At any rate, I can't wait to fish the forks and am still looking forward to my first tango with summer metal!