John Day River

L

Livin Large

Does anyone know where the best place to fish for bass on the John Day River? I have heard that where the river runs into the Columbia and the northern part of the river are good, but i have never been to the John Day before.

R

redhawk50

I have fished, with a fly rod, most of the river from Spray to Clarno. Good smallmouth action that whole stretch. Have floated Clarno to Cottenwood but was in charge of a 12 teens so didn't bring my rod for that stretch but saw plenty of people fishing it. Was over there last memorial day and hit every pullout between Spray and Service Creek. The water was high and dirty but still got a good number of smallies on that stretch.

B

beaverfan

Does anyone know where the best place to fish for bass on the John Day River? I have heard that where the river runs into the Columbia and the northern part of the river are good, but i have never been to the John Day before.

What time of year are you planning on going? Different parts of the river could be hotter at different times of year.

R

redhawk50

Check the water levels during that time of year if you plan on floating it. Especially with the scary low snow pack this year it could turn quickly into a drag rather then a float.

S

stream2.5

any place below the middle fork....at kimberly will be good that time of year...and dont expect much water this year

L

Livin Large

How would the fishing be near the end of March?

D

dtikey

I used to live over in prineville and spent a lot of time on the johnday and end of march threw april is when we would always get or biggest fish but lower numbers.We fished mostly threw the twickingham bridge area.Wish you the best and if you want some good advice for over there call mah-hah outfitters and talk to steve flemming.