John Day River

L

Livin Large

Hello, just wanted to know if the John Day was good for bass fishing. Going to head out there sometime soon

thanks

T

Troutier Bassier

Its one of the best small mouth Rivers in the US.

But it will be bad Fishing but Big Fish for a while cause there was a Flash Flood there and it killed a bunch of Bass. :(

1bigfish

What part of the JD will you be fishing? The lower part right off the CR or are you going to float the upper part of the river?

L

Livin Large

i was going to fish the upper part, but i have no clue where some good spots are for fishing off the bank or drifting

1bigfish

For the upper part I only have second hand info but from everything I have heard it has great fishing this time of year. The problem is that there is very little bank access and the current is so slow right now that the afternoon winds will actually push you up stream.

Hopefully someone will have better info.

Good Luck.

L

Livin Large

so is there more bank access in the lower parts of the river

T

tom1010

There are about 15 miles of bank access between Spray and Service Creek. The highway runs along side the river and there are a lot of access points. This time of year you can wade most of this stretch (at least cross when you need to) to fish both sides of the river. I was there the 4th of July but only caught small ones, plan to go back over labor day. There is a good camp ground at Mule Shoe campground, about 2 miles above Service Creek.

Top Bottom