John Day river

C

crazyhats5

I'am heading to La Page park on the John Day next weekend and was wondering how the fishing for smallies and cats have been? What are the baits of choice? Senko,grubs or plugs? Thank you so much for the tips

C

crazyhats5

awesome 39 views and not 1 respone! Guess no one fishes john day

1bigfish

I haven't fished there in two years so I don't have any first hand reports.

However, I have a buddy that was up there about 2 weeks ago for a couple of days. He said that bass fishing in the JD was dead the whole trip, but that since there was no wind he was able to get out on the CR and he found plenty of smallies out there. He did great on lipless crankbaits but all his bigger smallies including several over 4lbs came on a speedtrap.

No cat report.

Good luck out there.

O

OneMore

Went up for a float on the john day this week. Fishing was not red hot but but good. Best of the day bait was topwater got the most and biggest.

F

fisherkaran

John Day

John Day

i went up there and caught a ton of bass,and i hooked a ton of catfish.(landed one five pounder)all on five and four inch yammasino worms on a Texas rig.:clap:(exept a fourteen incher that i caught on a floating rapala plug.
you should fish next to the reeds or grass.

tight lines,

fisherkaran

J

joesnuffy

when you gewt back you can tell me how the fishing was. I'll be there the 24 -26 of july :)

T

Troutier Bassier

I read in a Magazine that Johnday is one of the Best smallmouth rivers in the Country. And my friend went to Deschutes and caught over 50 there on a Topwater Plug. So they should hit topwater at Johnday

F

fitterdent

if you go on the columbia just east of the john day, there is much better bass fishing. there are a lot of big rock formations out there. as for catfish, the john day is great right now for that. if you can catch some pikeminnow, use that for catfish bait, pike is their favorite. there is also some good walleye fishing on the john day and west of the john day, right by the dam.

H

Hawgon

John Day

John Day

Went to the John Day for the first time a couple of weeks ago and did real well on the cats with shad for bait up in the "Canyon" and for bass we used black roostertails and diving plugs in a crawfish pattern anywhere around rocks.
Hope the info helps and Good Luck.

C

crazyhats5

My return

My return

So I got back from the trip today. The fishing was decent. We managed 6 cats one around 7lbs. The bass fishing was hot and cold. Up by the narrows where it got shallow you could catch dinks on a grub on every cast. I did see a lot of bass in the narrow as the water was super clear and low. Some were 3+lbs but i couldnt get them to bite...I tried all i had. I did catch 13" fish up there with plugs and wacky rigged senko's. My biggest bass came from the mouth of the columbia 3lbs on a plug just off the rock wall. The bridge pillars did produce a lot of decent 12-13" fish on a texas rigged dark green senko.at just about dark. All in all a greta fun trip. Heading back in 2 weeks after the wedding.

T

tom1010

John Day

John Day

CrazyHats5, I just joined the forum or I would have responded sooner. I've been fishing the John Day for about 6 years with great luck. I fish at Service Creek (below Fossil) and at Cottonwood Junction on Highway 206. Was at Service Creek over the 4th. but only caught small ones. Have caught fish up to 20" there and I know they catch larger ones earlier in the year. Usually by July you can bank fish and wade anywhere along the river. I use pumpkin seed grubs pretty much all the time. A good friend of mine fly fishes for bass with the largest flys he can find. Watch out for rattlesnakes. Good luck!

T

Troutier Bassier

Welcome to the Family tom1010!. :)

Thanks for the Adivce, I am Planning on Returning to Johnday for Bass. thanks a lot.